Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
4,974 Posts
you get what you pay for....they more expensive they are the more straighter they are and harder to break. I had carbon express maxima hunters for years and never had a problem out of them. i also tried saving some money and shooting the cheaper carbon arrows and couldnt get them to group for anything...same bow

· Registered
15,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and...What is up with $40 for 3 broadheads. Seems like something is up. And for those who want to hate on me...yes, I am cheap and no I don't have pocket loads of money. I just want to hunt deer with my bow without having to mortgage my stinking house.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I agree cheap arrows don't compare. Can you kill animals with cheap arrows? Absolutely! I also shoot Carbon Express Maximas and they shoot much better than cheaper arrows. I'm sure there are some better but I'm content. I have the same dozen that I've had for about 5 years.

· Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm with you spooney! I bargan shop for all my stuff. I wait until I can get a dozen arrows for $50 or less. As long as they shoot 2-3 inch groups from zero to 40 yards they are good enough for me. No fancy fletching, no lighted nocks, and amazingly I still put venison in the freezer. As for broadheads I bought 12 last year on ebay (new) for what 3 cost.

· Registered
254 Posts
I shoot an inexpensive bow (Mission x3) and the cheapest carbon arrows Mikes had when I bought my bow. I know I could get a little more speed with a new, high dollar bow, but I am rather pleased with how my cheap bow and cheap arrows shoot.

This pic is from last week. 35 yards. Three of us had shot at the target. Mine are the two on the top with the orange and blue fletchings. As a matter of fact, I'm glad I'm shooting cheap arrows.

Attachments

· Banned
1,508 Posts
Now you know why all them PRO-STAFFER are making a good living off of us and making the BIG BUCKS doing it, we are paying for it with all these HIGH S prices for this gear???:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Wtf - bitching bitch...

Don't wanna pay - make your own from beer bottles - ya here's how: http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/projects/stone/bottle.html

.. otherwise pay for your hobby you could make your own recurve as well.

:thumbsup:
Stressless
I have met Mr. Spooney, and know that he is a hard working family man. I too am the same, most of the time I work a second job. Frugal may be a better word to describe either of us. Bitch, however represents something that neither of us are.

· Registered
15,162 Posts
I am down to two new ones and about three really beat up ones - one of them is aluminum... All slightly different lengths. My practice session tonight resulted in me cutting one fletching from one of the new ones. Just got finished superglueing back in place. I am doing my best to avoid buying new ones but if the weekend goes as I hope I will be in line at Mike's by next week. I hate giving it up for arrows and broad heads more than anything else. May just pick up three singles at Walmart. Ugh!

· Super Moderator
13,659 Posts
compare 12 arrows at $125 bucks to your average hunting load box of bullets at $30 . you get 20 shots out of the bullets, but you can shoot the arrows 100's, if not over 1000 times... I'd say you're getting a fair deal.

I shoot carbon express mayhems, and you definitely get what you pay for.

Sent from my LG G2X using Forum Runner

· ***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,813 Posts
Their is no fun like taking a deer with a bow, that being said if you had to use homemade glass bottle broad heads, and take your site off, I believe it would be that much more challenging, and even more rewarding when you made the kill...:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,637 Posts
How in the world can arrows be so expensive? I mean, really. How can you justify $80-$120 for 12 arrows? Seems like robbery to me. Should have gold in them at that price.
How many fishing rods do you have that cost $100+ each? How many fishing rods do you have that cost $20.

There's about 3 arrows worth of carbon in your average 7 foot bait casting rod.

compare 12 arrows at $125 bucks to your average hunting load box of bullets at $30 . you get 20 shots out of the bullets, but you can shoot the arrows 100's, if not over 1000 times... I'd say you're getting a fair deal.
Ditto. There was thread about this exact topic a while back and I addressed this aspect in that thread. I have shot my Easton FMJ's over a thousand times throughout the year. That breaks down to less than 10 cents per shot compared to two bucks per shot from my rifle.

Though we sell the lesser expensive arrows you definitely get what you pay for. The "bargain" arrows are not the bargain every one thinks they are. Out of the dozen arrows you might get 4 or 5 that are actually straight, have consistent spines, don't have a heavy side, have consistent wall thickness, etc... etc... The bargain arrows are actually quite a bit more expensive than the premium arrows when you consider how many "good" arrows you will get out of a dozen.

Here's the other thread.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f48/somebody-decode-arrow-mystery-please-127997/

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I am down to two new ones and about three really beat up ones - one of them is aluminum... All slightly different lengths. My practice session tonight resulted in me cutting one fletching from one of the new ones. Just got finished superglueing back in place. I am doing my best to avoid buying new ones but if the weekend goes as I hope I will be in line at Mike's by next week. I hate giving it up for arrows and broad heads more than anything else. May just pick up three singles at Walmart. Ugh!
Do you hunt with a mixed quiver of arrows like you mentioned? Carbon and some aluminum? I agree with bigbulls, do you people fish with cheap rods and reels? You get what you pay for.

· Registered
2,207 Posts
Unlike you rich guys, I have a budget. I will use any comparable cheap product. My Pearson bow, I won in a drawing. My arrows were purchased from Sportsmans Guide for $49 a dozen. They all fly just fine. I'm down to 5 of those because I have had them 4 years. I don't have to impress my hunting buddy or the guys on the pff to kill deer and enjoy hunting. If it weren't for budgeting I would never make it to the woods!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.