Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the answer to the lionfish epidemic.

It does not involve armies of spear fishermen, autonomous underwater lionfish hunting vehicles, lionfish traps, or waiting for natural predation to control the population.

There has been recent developments in the use of genetic modifications to control mosquito populations in a bid to eradicate malaria and other mosquito transmitted diseases. Essentially, the genetic modifications target the reproductive cycle resulting in females having almost entirely male offspring. These male offspring carry the genetic modification. Upon mating, the genetic modification is perpetuated to the next generation, and so on. In a small number of generations the population would be left with fewer and fewer females, thus controlling or even eliminating the population. Perhaps this technology could be applied to lionfish?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/10/gm-mosquitos-malaria-genetic-modification

I don't necessarily agree with this approach for wiping out populations of mosquitoes. However annoying, mosquitoes and the diseases they transmit fulfill a role in this very complicated world in which we live. Intervention in that realm could have far reach implications not yet understood. However, in the case of the invasive lionfish, the implications are nil.

Hopefully there's some really sharp folks already working this angle, or something even better.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, that could back-fire. It may make some of our scuba divers unable to mate...who knows? :whistling:

Maybe a better way is what I saw at the Pcola Seafood Festival friday: They had a booth set up with a big "Lionfish" sign. They were asking people to sample, and ask if they would pay $10 for?

Obviously what they are doing is determining if a commercial market is feasible. If that pans out, then our scuba divers may have a handy way to pay for their trips, plus a little extra, and not worry about their gonads.

I tell you, I would pay $10 for a Lionfish sandwich. Those things are good. Local restaurants could once again display a "caught local" sign out front too.

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
There doesn't seem to be enough divers to remove them for a regular market.... We have a hard time finding places willing to keep them on a menu

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
It will never happen, to many politicians would be out of jobs. The answer to the lionfish is forget about them, eat them and sell them. Soon they will reach an equalibrim with other sea life. Exactly like the lionfish have everywhere else they live.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The rumor mill says that the successes in marketing these fish has forced NOAA to consider putting severe restrictions on recreational fishermen/women (and non-commercial divers) from taking them. They will probably be listed on the endangered species list, and only commercial/charter guys will be able to harvest them - kind of like all the other fish in the Gulf

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The rumor mill says that the successes in marketing these fish has forced NOAA to consider putting severe restrictions on recreational fishermen/women (and non-commercial divers) from taking them. They will probably be listed on the endangered species list, and only commercial/charter guys will be able to harvest them - kind of like all the other fish in the Gulf

I certainly hope you're being sarcastic. But, knowing how badly NOAA has handled our fishery, it's almost believable.

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
If God didn't want them here they wouldn't be here...kinda like how every nationality of people invaded the Americas never to leave....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If God didn't want them here they wouldn't be here...kinda like how every nationality of people invaded the Americas never to leave....
If someone dumping their pet lionfish into the ocean where it didn't belong is gods will, then perhaps some really smart geneticist figuring out a way to genetically engineer the problem to go away is gods will also, eh?

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
If someone dumping their pet lionfish into the ocean where it didn't belong is gods will, then perhaps some really smart geneticist figuring out a way to genetically engineer the problem to go away is gods will also, eh?
I don't know why everything happens...but everything happens for a reason...I don't think genetics is the answer....and really they'll probably never be irradicated...no matter how much people type about them or even by hunting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts