Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have never burned up a powerhead before, but I have shredded a foot, twice, and this last time it cracked the housing and I found a replacement foot for my Yamaha...

Sux, thats all there is to say.:sick

B.O.A.T. = Bring On Another Thousand $

Think about it this way, though. You still got 2 more boats to go fishing on, in your back yard!:letsdrink

Thats the beauty of owning multiple old boats.......

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (2/14/2010)I have never burned up a powerhead before, but I have shredded a foot, twice, and this last time it cracked the housing and I found a replacement foot for my Yamaha...

Sux, thats all there is to say.:sick

B.O.A.T. = Bring On Another Thousand $

Think about it this way, though. You still got 2 more boats to go fishing on, in your back yard!:letsdrink

Thats the beauty of owning multiple old boats.......
Sorry to hear that C/L...sux for sure but like angus said you have 2 others to fish out of... Remindsof a fellow Pffer's signature on here.

Hope all works out as that was a screaming motor when we fished the 3Mand agree with the post about the impeller. You may be OK!

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I believe my buddy is looking for a foot off of a 1979 100hp johnson javelin...if you do end up getting a new motor keep me in mind if you want to sell the foot off of the old one

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
biggamefishr (2/14/2010)I believe my buddy is looking for a foot off of a 1979 100hp johnson javelin...if you do end up getting a new motor keep me in mind if you want to sell the foot off of the old one

Will do

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I bet ya don't ever do that again?

I make it a policy to flush the motor/motors and do nothing else, especially leave the motor and do other things.

Muffs can slip off too.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune C-L, just thinking about that makes me cringe. I ususally flush mine (Evinrude Ocean Pro) by removing the water pump indicator, screwinga water hose into the fitting and letting it run for about 20-30 minutes. I don't know if it is as good as running it with the cups but so far I have not had any problems. Since Iam also prone to getting easily distracted, Idon't have to worrry about leaving it running. Plus it is easier on the neighbors ears.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
X-Shark (2/15/2010)I bet ya don't ever do that again?

I make it a policy to flush the motor/motors and do nothing else, especially leave the motor and do other things.

Muffs can slip off too.

Nope, the lessons best learned are the hardest ones and this one is a heart breaker for me.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
It happens to the best of us. 1st boat was 2 years ago, 3 weeks into it hit a stump at full speed. Second boat 1 month into it VRP pump quits working burned up the motor. Give Livinston Marine a shout, he rebuilt mine and I am very pleased.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
alanbarck (2/15/2010)Sorry about your misfortune C-L, just thinking about that makes me cringe. I ususally flush mine (Evinrude Ocean Pro) by removing the water pump indicator, screwinga water hose into the fitting and letting it run for about 20-30 minutes. I don't know if it is as good as running it with the cups but so far I have not had any problems. Since Iam also prone to getting easily distracted, Idon't have to worrry about leaving it running. Plus it is easier on the neighbors ears.
Bad thing about that is, in order to break down the salt that is in the motor is the motor has to be running and the temp has to be at the motors running temp range. If the motor is cold and you hook the hose into it it wont flush the salt out due to not being hot enough to break the salt down.

·
Registered
437 Posts
CL Wrote:

"Nope, the lessons best learned are the hardest ones and this one is a heart breaker for me."

Yep, you always remember the lessons you buy and I've learned a lot over the years buying my lessons one at a time.

Sorry about your engine.

FO

21 - 31 of 31 Posts