Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1979 model motor on my 17 ft trihull. Thing ran very strong till today, pops up on plane quick and pushes you back on your seat. Looking forward to ski weather. I forgot to turn the water on to my ear muffs and I got distracted doing other things.

If I could kick my own ass, I would. :reallycrying:doh:hoppingmad:looser

I am now in the need of a replacement for my 100hp Johnson, or someone to rebuild it.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wld1985 (2/14/2010)That sucks. I always turn the water on before even trying to start my motor... Hopefully it can be rebuilt..

I actually turned the water on... but I have one of those "T" fittings, and i forgot to turn that switch to turn that leg on. :

I am seriously bummed guys. Ive only had this boat for about 4 months. I got a great deal, and I ruined that great deal by doing something completely and utterly stupid and preventable.

The motor seems to have lost compression ,but it still turns over

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this boat is rated for 110 or 115. I seem to remember it being an odd number like 110. Seems like 115 is a more common number these days. I imagine a newer 90 would probably do just as good as this old 100. So I hope everyone will help me keep an eye out. I am going to have to sell a lot of sand spikes and beach anchors to afford a rebuild

Now please excuse me as I go punish myself with Tequila

·
Registered
179 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/1595097807.htmlThis is my friends boat and is very strong running. This motor is worth twice the sale price and boat is also worth the sale price. People not looking because of low price and trailer is junk.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
298 Posts
man that sucks, I blew up one motor and I know how it feels.. It wasnt from water though, there was a red light on my dash and I was like hmm whats that... ITS THE OIL INJECTION LIGHT IDIOT...lol My alarm didnt work I guess.. lol I got through it though I was bumed but it was already done....

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curtisimo81 (2/14/2010)man that sucks, I blew up one motor and I know how it feels.. It wasnt from water though, there was a red light on my dash and I was like hmm whats that... ITS THE OIL INJECTION LIGHT IDIOT...lol My alarm didnt work I guess.. lol I got through it though I was bumed but it was already done....

Glad to know Im not the only one who has F'd up their motor

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grumendboat (2/14/2010)<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/1595097807.htmlThis is my friends boat and is very strong running. This motor is worth twice the sale price and boat is also worth the sale price. People not looking because of low price and trailer is junk.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks, motor probably too small for this, but I might be interested in it for other reasons

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You probably just melted the head rubber orings. Let's evaluate the motor before calling it garbage. Overheating a motor at idle isn't nearly as deadly as underload and underway.

·
Registered
363 Posts
TMS (2/14/2010)You probably just melted the head rubber orings. Let's evaluate the motor before calling it garbage. Overheating a motor at idle isn't nearly as deadly as underload and underway.

Unless of course he went inside and watched the entire Daytona 500 today. :banghead

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TMS (2/14/2010)You probably just melted the head rubber orings. Let's evaluate the motor before calling it garbage. Overheating a motor at idle isn't nearly as deadly as underload and underway.

Well here is the whole story.

I was warming it up this morning before leaving my house. Had the earmuffs on. Forgot the water. Went in the house , got distracted, heard the motor getting kind of loud, went out to check on it and realized my huge mistake. Immediately shut down. Motor was smoking. I let it cool down for an hour. When cool, I turned on water, Cranked just fine. Ran at idle for 10 minutes, no problem. Figured I had dodged the bullet.

Went to shoreline, launched and idled out to deeper water. Eased into it, all looked well, gave it a little more, probably doing 65% of topspeed. Started smoking and sounding funny. I shut it off, let it cool down. Would not crank after that. Sounded "hollow" as if little/no compression. Didn't have that deep sound it usually has. Threw out anchor and drowned some live shrimp and enjoyed a beautiful day for an hour or so before I decided to flag someone down and get towed back to Shoreline. Was only about a mile away and guy was headed there anyway.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here's what I think happened, when you ran the motor at idle with no water you damaged the "star shaped" impeller made of neopreme, which will crumble if rotated without being wet (I've heard even rotating the flywheel with plugs out can damage the impeller). When you turned on the hose the force of the water caused it to appear that the pump was working, but, when you ran the motor up on plane the pump wasn't supplying enough water to cool the engine. Since I have had to change a couple of impellers before I ALWAYS look to see water squirting from the foot before I even attempt to try and start my engine! Sorry for your misfortune and I hope it will be a warning to others who read your post!

Best of Luck to you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts