Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amen. Yesterday was my oldest sons 9th birthday. He was in the front seat at the time of the accident, and he witnessed hisaunt expire. Does anyone have a grief counseler in the area that they know and could recommend? He not right. He's not coping well. He knows that she is dead, and watched her die, but has since supressed that knowledge and is talking about visiting her at her house this summer, and discussing all the plans they made together as if they are still going happen, and she is still here.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You might try asking around at church. It's like a two for one. He will get some counseling and be assured that she is most definitely in a better place. I am sorry for your loss and pray that your family need not continue to suffer overlong with reminders of the accident.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both really good suggestions. Thank you. Cant believe I didnt think of that. My mind isnt really focused right now

·
Super Moderator
27,956 Posts
Sorry feryour families loss and the trauma suffered by the little man. Some grief counseling will be great and hopefully have him on track soon. He's young and will bounce back quickly I hope:angel

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
roofordie (4/3/2010)Amen. Yesterday was my oldest sons 9th birthday. He was in the front seat at the time of the accident, and he witnessed hisaunt expire. Does anyone have a grief counseler in the area that they know and could recommend? He not right. He's not coping well. He knows that she is dead, and watched her die, but has since supressed that knowledge and is talking about visiting her at her house this summer, and discussing all the plans they made together as if they are still going happen, and she is still here.
Do not take him to a secular mental Doctor. There is a Christian counselor in Pcola that will help him out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lobsterman (4/3/2010)
roofordie (4/3/2010)Amen. Yesterday was my oldest sons 9th birthday. He was in the front seat at the time of the accident, and he witnessed hisaunt expire. Does anyone have a grief counseler in the area that they know and could recommend? He not right. He's not coping well. He knows that she is dead, and watched her die, but has since supressed that knowledge and is talking about visiting her at her house this summer, and discussing all the plans they made together as if they are still going happen, and she is still here.
Do not take him to a secular mental Doctor. There is a Christian counselor in Pcola that will help him out.

What is a secular medical doctor? Is that a glorified way to describe a non-religous based counseler?? I definetly belive religion needs to play a big part in his counseling. Last Sunday we all went to church, and my kids have never been baptized, because I leave those things up to them. At the end of the service my son stood up and went to the alter and proclaimed that he would like to be baptized. My sister was sooo proud of him. We went out to a celebratory lunch at her request to celebrate my sons decision. We were all suppose to be at church this Sunday for the baptism. Instead it will now beall the rest of the family there, and her only in spirit.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
roofordie (4/3/2010)
lobsterman (4/3/2010)

What is a secular medical doctor? Is that a glorified way to describe a non-religous based counseler?? I definetly belive religion needs to play a big part in his counseling. Last Sunday we all went to church, and my kids have never been baptized, because I leave those things up to them. At the end of the service my son stood up and went to the alter and proclaimed that he would like to be baptized. My sister was sooo proud of him. We went out to a celebratory lunch at her request to celebrate my sons decision. We were all suppose to be at church this Sunday for the baptism. Instead it will now beall the rest of the family there, and her only in spirit.
That is a non-Christian counselor. They have been listening to otherpeoples problems for years and alot of them are worse off than the patients they are treating. I can get you a name but my brother is out right now. This counselor is a devout Christian and a Pastor in the Pcola area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When our Daughter died, it took my Wife and me two weeks before we finally realized she was gone. We just couldn't accept it, even though we were holding her when she left. Everyone handles grief differently and your son will bounce back, it's not even beena week yet. We went to counseling and it helped a little, (not much), but the best thing is just to be with your son the next couple of weeks, let him talk about the accident and everything if he wants to. In time, he'll get back to where he was before....but it will take time. God Bless You and your Family:angel

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are need of someone this weekend try Lakeview in Pensacola, Avalon in Milton437-8900. They have hot lines, and do haveCounselor oncall most of the time. If nothing else maybe call the hospitals and see if anyone on duty or if they have a referal number you can call. Gulf Breeze United Methodist Church at theirLifeCenter on 98 has Phd counselor; Not sure which number to call but they run the Good Samaritan Clinic (934-0064) their website is http://www.gbumc.org/localprograms

:angel

God Bless

·
Registered
569 Posts
roofordie (4/3/2010)
Pinksnappercatcher (4/3/2010)I would ask around at your Church and his school.

Was this the accident with the Lexus?

Yes, it was that accident.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I'm a Masters Level Therapist with a background in education and work for the Department of Juvenile Justice. I would highly encourage you to find a therapist or counselor who treats both grief and PTSD. If your family had a strong faith prior to this terrible accident, then perhaps a 'faith' based counselor may be appropriate. I would just caution you that faith based counseling works very well for those who maintained a mature relationship with God and a developed faith and commitment to their chosen religion. In my experience, many 9-year-olds aren't in this classification yet. The loss of loved ones affords many a stronger relationship with God, however, in my professional opinion the trauma of your son witnessing his aunt die supercedes anything else at the moment. You know your son best. This is a critical time for you to establish an open dialog with him and reinforce that this is something that's 'OK' to talk about. I would also document as much as possible (such as him projecting future experiences with his Aunt this upcoming summer) as this information will prove invaluable to whatever counselor you elect to use.

I previously was a school administrator and would recommend you contact the principal and guidance office Monday morning. School officials can offer you numerous resources (including referring a therapist) as well as monitor your son more closely as this trauma may, and likely will, permeate into social and academic settings.

If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to PM me. Again, I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts