Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who had hutton unit quota's for Jan. 18-22 ?
I jumped one going to a stand, looked like he was a 8pt, but a solid 6pt for sure. He got up with a doe and they both took off. During their flight, they jumped another deer, never saw it's head, tho it was a big bodied one. I didn't take a shot because I wasn't positive on the rack size.
They have a 14" minimum main beam rule for anything under 4 points on one side. I wasn't about to ground check it.
That was on the 18th, and nothing else but does the rest of the day.
Does again on the 19th. On the 20th, I seen a big rack buck with dark yellow antlers. He was about 70yds from me, but I never got a clear shot to take. He disappeared as fast as he popped up.
A short time later, 8 toms were on the move as was 3 does. 1 doe, frozen in her tracks eyeing 1 tom as he approached her. I'm thinking oh man, that tom is going to bust the crap out of that doe if she doesn't get going. That tom went straight for her and bowing up. As he got within 5 feet of the doe, she turned and ran about 40 yds before stopping and looking back, I guess to make sure the tom wasn't following?
The 21st I went to a different area, saw zilch, should've stayed at the other spot.
On the 22nd, I went back to the turkey area. I saw a spike tending his scrape about 30yds from me, then a short time later a doe came down the same trail and checked out the scrape too.
An hour or so passed without seeing anything but crows, so I checked my phone. My kids had texted me, so I replied, then we got into a full-blown discussion. Time passed by and I happened to look up and saw a really nice 8 point following a doe flanking behind her about 30' off her right side. Dammit, couldn't get a shot now as they were right at the no use in shooting area.
Man, I could've kicked my own ass for playing on that damn phone. Told the kids we'd finish the conversation after I leave the woods. Saw 1 yearling the rest of the day. Geez, and I knew better than texting while I'm in the woods. Oh well, I guess the Lord had better plans for that one.

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sunday (may have been Saturday) I was at the check-in station eating lunch (ran up to harold store and back), when a truck loaded with his gear in the bed, slowed at the gate, went thru (without stopping) and gunned it once on the payment. One guy said, "He didn't even stop". I agreed and said "oh well, he probably won't get a quota for here no more".
A short time later, 2 FWC vehicles came thru, 1 with a k-9.
That evening when I checked out, I asked about the guy that didn't stop, he said he (the guy that drove thru) was hunting near deaton bridge rd and saw a buck. As he was looking at the deer "thru his scope" trying to determine if it was a legal buck or not, someone shot and killed the deer. The guy that shot it, was off the hutton unit and went to retrieve the deer. This guy reported it to FWC and they told him to meet them there on deatons bridge rd. FWC caught the guy and of course gave him tickets. LMAO

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You killed any big bucks this year like you used to?
No, I've not shot a buck this year. I let that monster 6pt walk on the 9th, had him at 20-25yds. Let a couple 8's walk and had that nice 8pt get by me while I was playing on the phone, ouch.
I do have my eye on a cull 8pt, if I can pattern him, he doesn't seem to stay on trails like most others do. This goober may be walking the road today, and be walking the same direction the next day, but about 15yds in the woodline. He just isn't consistent, probably just start taking my rifle to get him and leave the pistol at the house.

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try to keep it interesting without stretching the truth. And if I post it, it's the gospel, unless I say it was told by someone else, as I can't vouch for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts