Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from several different people that the property owner who owns the boat ramp has sold that piece of property and it will no longer be a boat ramp. I hate to mention it being that I havent heard it straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I called Mike Whiteheads office today to see if they have heard this but they said no. If this turns out to be true we will loose the only boat ramp that we have for miles around to fish in the lower Perdido River area. What we need is public access to this river. I have heard in the past that finding a sutable piece of property at a good value was high on the commissions priority list to create a public ramp on the Perdido River. But we have yet to see this. If you are concerned about this I encourage you to contact Mike Whitehead and let him know how important it is to you, that you be able to launch your boat and to be able to fish and enjoy this beautiful water way we have here in Escambia Co Florida. You can contact Mike Whitehead, Commisioner for District 1 at...... [email protected]:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag

We need to contact all our district commissioner's, not just Mike Whitehead. It takes votes from 3 of the below to pass anything that would spend money to create a boat ramp anywhere. So we must convince three of them that it would be a good thing.

Mike Whitehead, District 1
[email protected]

Gene Valentino, District 2
[email protected]

Marie Young, District 3
[email protected]

Grover C. Robinson IV, District 4
district[email protected]

Kevin White, District 5
[email protected]

**** UPDATE!!! THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE TRUE. THIS IS NO LONGER A RUMOR. WE ARE LOOSING THE ONLY BOAT
WE HAVE ON THE FLORIDA SIDE OF THE RIVER WORTHY OF LAUNCHING A MOTOR BOAT.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I called Mike Whiteheads office today to see if they have heard this but they said no.

You wasted your breath. That is a privately owned ramp. The county has nothing to do with it. That ramp is totally funded by the property owner and can charge what they want.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must not have read what I wrote..... she sold the property to someone else.... it is closing.... no more private boat ramp...... we need public access..........:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
That really does suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to open up a public ramp somewhere near there!!! has anyone heard anything about the old hunting boat ramp???

·
Registered
512 Posts
FlounderAssassin (10/17/2007)That really does suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to open up a public ramp somewhere near there!!! has anyone heard anything about the old hunting boat ramp???
You talking about the one on the west bank right where Styx river joins perdido?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flounder Assassin is refering to the one on the Florida side of the river. It is a boat ramp located on the property of the Perdido River sportsmans hunting club. You see it on the river. About a 1 acre parcel with a porto let and a covered picnic area. We heard this has benn opened to the public but have not seen any trucks there with trailers. I think the paper mill owns all of this property....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i remember someone saying something about it being opened to the public on the old forum, but as MR said it has not been confirmed yet. even though, thats still not as good of a spot as hurst hammock was...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Midnight Rider (10/17/2007)Flounder Assassin is refering to the one on the Florida side of the river. It is a boat ramp located on the property of the Perdido River sportsmans hunting club. You see it on the river. About a 1 acre parcel with a porto let and a covered picnic area. We heard this has benn opened to the public but have not seen any trucks there with trailers. I think the paper mill owns all of this property....
I believe it is now owned by the State of Fl. and falls under the water management division, the contact person is Steve Brown. The last I heard was it will be closed to trucks pulling a trailer and the area was open 1 hour before daylight to 2 hours after sunset. So basically one could notlaunch a boat unless it was something like a jon boat or canoe. This could have changed...this was info that I got last year after the State purchased the land.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just talked to someone who lives down at the Hammock. He confirmed that the property has been sold to a State Farm insurance agent here in town and that he is building a house on the site.. Dont know how much longer we will be able to launch there.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Midnight Rider (10/17/2007)You must not have read what I wrote..... she sold the property to someone else.... it is closing.... no more private boat ramp...... we need public access..........:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Yes I did read it. The new owners are opting to discontinue the boat ramp business. They have the right to do that.

I do agree with you that a ramp is needed in that area.

Attend a meeting on the 1st Monday of each month @ 5:30pm where the Marine advisory has their meeting at R. Turpins office.

You will find out whats going on and whats being looked at as far as ramps as well as other things in our marine enviroment.

My brother Bill lives at the corner of Helm's and Bealu Rd. Every boat that uses that ramp has to go by his house.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
http://www.nwfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/perdido.html

Heres the story for the hunting club land/boat launch.

The President of the Hunting Club works for me, and I'll get the rest of the story in the am. He told me about the Hurst Hammoc boat launch last week.

I remember him saying the "old" hunting club launch ramp is just a memory. Notice all the pictures, you don't see a boat engine, just canoes and kayaks.......

I have heard that the County is working on a boat ramp somewhere near or on Bronson Field off Bauer Road. They have been doing some surveying of the land. They are also supposed to put in a fishing pier too. Some of this may have been caught up in the Bauer Field Ballpark/County Administrator fiasco that is still ongoing.

Of course the county has built a boat ramp/park and named it for a past commissioner................ It's so nice people are scared to use it!! LMAO

Rock on

BillD

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No s*#t thats what I said. Im not disputing the fact that it sold and that he can do with it as he chooses. Im trying to rally the troops here and get people fired up about us loosing a valuable boat ramp and all you want to do is throw a wrench in it..:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the positive feedback doc master. A boat ramp by Bronson field would be nice but thats a long ride to Perdido River in a john boat to freshwater fish. We also need a place to launch on the river. I no we have Ruby"s but this is also a long ride down river to fish the lower parts.... Thanks again and look forward to hearing your news tomorrow.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Midnight Rider (10/17/2007)You must not have read what I wrote..... she sold the property to someone else.... it is closing.... no more private boat ramp...... we need public access..........:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead
where do you expect to get this public access, when there is no public property?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
x-shark...dont you have anything better to do then to sh*t on everyones post on here??? this is not the first time you have done this. you pop off at what people say and most of the time you dont even understand what they are talking about!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:boo:boo:boo:boo:boo

·
Registered
782 Posts
fishaholic (10/17/2007)
Midnight Rider (10/17/2007)Flounder Assassin is refering to the one on the Florida side of the river. It is a boat ramp located on the property of the Perdido River sportsmans hunting club. You see it on the river. About a 1 acre parcel with a porto let and a covered picnic area. We heard this has benn opened to the public but have not seen any trucks there with trailers. I think the paper mill owns all of this property....
I believe it is now owned by the State of Fl. and falls under the water management division, the contact person is Steve Brown. The last I heard was it will be closed to trucks pulling a trailer and the area was open 1 hour before daylight to 2 hours after sunset. So basically one could notlaunch a boat unless it was something like a jon boat or canoe. This could have changed...this was info that I got last year after the State purchased the land.
you will have a new public ramp on management area property just north of hwy 90. that will be for regular boat launching the rest of the management area will be carry in only on the river. you will get a regular ramp.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
im sure they had to buy land at some point for all of the other public boat launches....they need to do it again now. this isone of the reasonswe pay boat registration fees and all the other bs for!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
the deal had already went down a year ago. sold to water management all north of 90 and a little piece south of 90. this property will remain in their hands FOREVER. the tree huggers bought the rest of perdido sportsman and is totally against boats with motors period.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts