Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buddy and me had booked time off for the last week of October and had been looking forward to the trip for some time. Checked the weather forecast before coming down and was devastated to learn that Hurricane Patricia was going to hit the gulf coast (in town Sunday night to Wednesday morning). Knew it was going to be tough conditions and potentially rainy but as long as it wasn't lightning we were going to be fishing. Decided to head right out Sunday without checking into the place. Tried to fish the honey hole but the winds and waves were to high to hold bottom so we had to fish a spot around the corner protected from the wind. Managed to catch a bunch of hardheads and a stringray but that was about it. Got soaked for about 30 minutes but rain held off for most of the day. Monday we headed back out at around 4PM and again head to stay away from the honey hole due to the wind and rain. This is the roughest I have ever seen the Gulf and we had to throw all our gear on the sand dune. The waves were hitting the dunes with water being up at least 4 feet above average. Bite was really slow except for gafftop sails. Managed to catch a redfish on the shark rod with a piece of cut catfish and my buddy managed to reel in a nice red on cut mullet on my new spinfisher. I knew Tuesday was going to be our best day and we were going to have to fish the hardest that day. Went out in the morning to more heavy current and waves but no wind. The honey hole was fishable on one side so we decided to brave the elements and fish. The hole reminded me of a river in which bait was being drifted into the eddies and so naturally we casted into the eddies. Managed 3 redfish in the morning all on cut mullet (32-36 inches). We headed back in and regrouped for the night shift. Got back out around 4:30 and were greeted to the same conditions. Started out catching 2 reds before dark and thought it was going to be a great night. Night time greeted us with a slow bite, but the best to monster redfish. Caught 4 after dark and they went, 40", 42", 43", and 44.5". By far our best day size wise out of the surf. Wish we would have had better weather but can't complain

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts