Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Take it from somebody that's spent a lot of hours in a saddle, working and hunting. Even in a well designed saddle, you can get a dose of suspension trauma if you don't put some weight on your feet from time to time. It's worse in a full body harness but a climbing saddle does not make you immune.
My weight is constantly on my feet. I have very very little possibility of suspension trauma. You’d have to see my set up to understand. I can do all day sits with no issues. It’s not a climbing harness I’m using. It’s specifically built for hunting. I do take your point seriously, though. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Good deal. Hunting saddles were designed from our arborist saddles but without the hardware. I use mine a lot in live oaks during archery season. If you haven't tried climbing SRT (single rope technique) using ascenders, it's a real game changer. No sticks necessary and you can climb to the moon if you can get your line over it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good deal. Hunting saddles were designed from our arborist saddles but without the hardware. I use mine a lot in live oaks during archery season. If you haven't tried climbing SRT (single rope technique) using ascenders, it's a real game changer. No sticks necessary and you can climb to the moon if you can get your line over it.
I tired this myself, although not with ascenders I was using a blake's hitch. My problem was I COULD NOT get the damn zing it line (or whatever you cal it) over a branch to save my life. Either way, in BW it seems like the trees that you can use that method in are few and far between.

In my saddle setup my weight is in my feet most of the time as well. I'm actually a total nutcase because I am using the "one stick method" to climb the tree and actually use the top of the stick as my platform. I really need to buy a platform this year though, but I do like only have to take 1 stick, my weapon, and a backpack.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Using a throw bag takes some practice for sure and climbing doubled rope with the Blake's will work your butt off, as you are well aware. SRT is like climbing a ladder. In planted pines, you're right, using a climbing line is near about impossible. On big old growth long leafs it shines, especially rifle hunting. I like to get really high (50-80') if it helps me see and almost never get winded. One of the best things about it is that you don't have to climb down!
The bottom line is use what you're comfortable with as long as it works.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,887 Posts
Using a throw bag takes some practice for sure and climbing doubled rope with the Blake's will work your butt off, as you are well aware. SRT is like climbing a ladder. In planted pines, you're right, using a climbing line is near about impossible. On big old growth long leafs it shines, especially rifle hunting. I like to get really high (50-80') if it helps me see and almost never get winded. One of the best things about it is that you don't have to climb down!
The bottom line is use what you're comfortable with as long as it works.
The only good thing I see out of getting 80’ up a tree is that if you fall, you wont have to worry about being paralyzed, YOULL BE DEAD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
The only good thing I see out of getting 80’ up a tree is that if you fall, you wont have to worry about being paralyzed, YOULL BE DEAD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haha, too true.

I always wear a harness in a climber and I only ever go 25' at most in saddle or climber. I've been winded a few times though..that I know of

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've always thought tree work would be fun, I just love doing shit with ropes haha. Here's a picture of me working in our setup, not near as high though.

Anyway, this is a hunting forum or something right?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No wonder you're comfortable in a saddle!
Very cool, what is that you're hanging? I see you have two progress capture devices on your lines, will either allow you to descend or does someone belay you down?
Yes, it's a hunting forum, so we can run rabbits.

Reactions: jspooney

·
Registered
285 Posts
No wonder you're comfortable in a saddle!
Very cool, what is that you're hanging? I see you have two progress capture devices on your lines, will either allow you to descend or does someone belay you down?
Yes, it's a hunting forum, so we can run rabbits.
Yeah, it's weird I feel safer on ropes in a tree than a climber...probably because I've had a climber fall out from under me.

I was drilling holes to mount that I-beam you see in the picture. It's part of a current speed monitoring system in the river in Mobile. There is a "sled" that rides on the I-beam with a meter attached to it. A winch is at the top of the beam so you can raise and lower the sensor to service it. We've got 3 of these systems in Mobile that large ships and tugs use for maneuvering in the turning basins .We have them all over the US coast at major ports.

EDIT
We use the Petzl Rig on our main line which will capture progress when we ascend. If I have a long way to go I rig up a pully to give me a 2 to 1 and a hand ascender with a foot loop. For this short climb I just used the ascender and foot loop though.

The second line is a Petzl ASAP that is just a belay device. It has a cam that will grab if the main line fails. It's annoying sometimes when you are ascending since at times you need to advance it by hand.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Very interesting! I see you've got your inflatable vest on too, just in case.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts