Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Virginia originally, and the underbrush was not nearly as dense as it is here. We never had to use dogs or a stand; we just picked a nice area and waited. But here, the foliage is just not conducive to that.

Do any of y'all have some pointers? Dogs are out of the question, but will I need to purchase a stand?

Thank you in advance to any and all assistance.

·
Clint aka noworyz
68 Posts
if your hunting Management (public) land then I would recommend a good climbing stand that fits your style of hunting. Ladder stands are good for private land and i've hunting from a ground blind on both as well...

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
I use climbers, hangers, ladders and even shimmy up trees, the ones with a good perching limb. Just depends on the area. But there are plenty of places where it's not so thick, and you can sit and wait. g/l

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I love my climber, but really have been using my folding chair more and more. The foliage is gone by january and February

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Buy this. It’s all you’ll ever need to hunt any tree in any woods in any state. Tethrd You will need a saddle and a climbing method. I recommend a set of sticks like Hawk Helium.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm a climbing arborist and use my saddle a lot for hunting but skip the sticks and use a climbing line and ascenders but would never recommend that for those with no aerial hunting experience. With our piney woods a climbing stand is the only way to go for the inexperienced. I have a couple of Summit climbers that have been up and down too many trees to count and work great.

Reactions: TheBeeDeeGee

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was using a climber, but swapped out to a saddle and sticks last season. I have had deer fairly close sitting on the ground in creek bottoms, but I don't like hunting that way down here. Too many snakes and the view is too limited like you said.

I like the saddle setup because I can go in the woods with my backpack and 2 sticks and move around quietly and easily. The setups are expensive so I made mine with a rock climbing harness and a few other pieces.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I really like my cougar claw climber, I've got a summit in my garage I will try this fall.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Not a frickin chance, not trying to look like a window cleaner hanging from a tree. Easier to sleep in my climber.

Well, at least you are honest enough to admit you are arguing an uneducated opinion. Lol. Some people actually don’t like a saddle. Most people who try it don’t look back. It’s a personal preference. And I sleep extremely well hanging like Spider-Man.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
And I sleep extremely well hanging like Spider-Man.
Take it from somebody that's spent a lot of hours in a saddle, working and hunting. Even in a well designed saddle, you can get a dose of suspension trauma if you don't put some weight on your feet from time to time. It's worse in a full body harness but a climbing saddle does not make you immune.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts