Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am fairly new to hunting and I would like to have all the tips I can get. Last year was the first time I hunted and I didn't have much luck. So here's some questions....Do I hunt scrape/rub lines, do I put scent in the scrapes? Do I use attractants, if so what kind would you recommend? Spring/summer plot seed? Fall/winter seed? I was going to plant oats, wheat, rye for my fall/winter plot, is that good enough or is there something else I should plant? What time do you find deer move most? Tips on hunting the rut and early bow season? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hello, I am fairly new to hunting and I would like to have all the tips I can get. Last year was the first time I hunted and I didn't have much luck. So here's some questions....Do I hunt scrape/rub lines, do I put scent in the scrapes? Do I use attractants, if so what kind would you recommend? Spring/summer plot seed? Fall/winter seed? I was going to plant oats, wheat, rye for my fall/winter plot, is that good enough or is there something else I should plant? What time do you find deer move most? Tips on hunting the rut and early bow season? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have hunted alot up in Maryland and Virginia. Hunting down here is alot different. However, some things probably work the same down here.. Keep in mind that most of what I know worked up there, so using it down here may or may not work. If you follow rub lines, they normally will lead to either a bedding area, or a feeding area. Also, normally with in 50 feet or so of a rub line is normally a trail, which would normally be used by the does. It has been my experience that the bucks normally follow the rub line and the does will follow the trail. Hunt a rub line in the early morning or evening.. Scrapes, sure you can put scent in them, but make sure you use buck urine scent. You want the buck that originally made the scrape to think another buck is invading his territory. Or you can make your own scrape near the one you found, just make sure you do not get any human scent in it. Also, do not rule out mid day hunting. I have seen alot of nice deer taken in the middle of the day....

I never used any scent attractants.. I have used calls.. The only scent I ever used was earth scent I put on my hunting clothes.... also never put out any feed or anything like that. I did 90 percent of my hunting from the ground, not in a stand and have had deer come within 10 yards of me. This year I will be hunting public land, so its going to be a bit different... we shall see how it turns out..

Like I said, I used techniques like this up in Maryland and it always worked for me.. Down here, not sure but its worth a try....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts