Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hunting the Florida wild boar hog with Ralph
As the weather starts to cool even the slightest bit, one things comes to mind, hunting. We in the sunshine state are so fortunate to have excellent hunting available from one end of our state to the other. Turkey, both Osceloa and Eastern, provide the serious turkey hunter with opportunities for real trophies. In addition, we have a large, healthy, deer heard. Who could ask for anything more? Well! how about hogs? How about the Florida wild boar. The Florida wild boar, recognized as one of the smartest animals in the woods, is equipped with huge cutters, an un-equaled nose, and comes with an attitude, all bad. This monster, this beast, is a master of survival. It it were not for one little weakness, his stomach, the Florida wild boar would be most difficult to see, more less harvest. The answer, corn, yellow gold. Hogs can smell corn from hundreds of yards and come running.
Is that Marlin 45/70 stainless guide gun ready? How about that Nikon 3X9 scope? One good way to find out. Let's visit Fritz Casper owner of Tampa's newest, most modern, indoor pistol/rifle range, Florida Firearms Academy:

The Marlin is ready, so are we.

OK! Let's go hog hunting. But where? Well! Tiger Island Outfitters is a very good start. But first things first. After all hogs are not the only thing in the woods that gets hungry. Nothing really beats a real country store. Our trip would not be complete without a quick stop at Hershel's.

Think I will have a good old Southern hamburger:

Man! was that ever good. OK! off to Crichton & Tracey's Tiger Island Outfitters.
Today we will be hunting with Ralph, a wounded warrior, a true American hero. Ralph lost both legs defending our freedom. We could never come close to paying this man what we owe him. We are FREE because of men like Ralph.
Ralph's believes in one shot, one kill. His weapon of choice, a 50 caliber no nonsense put them on the ground cannon.

Check out my cute little home away from home:

What choices. Man! Do they ever come to that corn. Think I will wait for a real trophy. The really big boys are much harder to harvest.

Think I will set up my video camera:

Hold on! Ralph has more than earned first shot. Did I just hear a blast? What an explosion! Ralph has unleashed the 50. Look at that boar. Our guides, Joey (middle) and Kevin, congratulate Ralph on a job well done, very well done. Bet his shoulder still hurts.
Great good old Southern hospitality, outstanding food, and the trophy Florida wild boar. Hunting the Florida wild boar hog with Ralph has been quite an experience, an epic adventure to remember. We will be back.
Check out the video of our hunt. See the 50 in action:

Bob Harbison Native Florida Sportsman
Florida Outdoor Writers Association

·
Banned
260 Posts
I know that this is a high fence, and in some situations (disabilities and all) are good for hunters that other wise would not be able to enjoy the outdoors. But they are walking right up to you with no fear at all!
Sorry but it is not as I was told about high fence hunting. It looks more like a pig farm hunt with them coming up to you looking for more food.
They need to make the hogs afraid of the hunter not walk up and beg to be petted.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

feeders: The big boys absolutely refused to even get close. I finally shot one way off just as it was getting dark. Far from the trophy I wanted. Maybe next time.
Hunted hogs at Buck & Boar hunting Club for 21 years. Hunted, as at Tiger Island, over electric corn feeders. B&B is over 10,000 acres & NO fences. The hogs approached the feeders and acted the exact same way at both places. Hunting with corn feeders is not for everyone. To each his/her own. If the hogs do not come up to the feeders, something is wrong. I spent over ten hours in a little hut shooting those pictures. Often I would see hogs off at a distance, they would not come in. The really big boys never did come in. I was forced to wear 'sent wafers' to get them to come in at all. Fence or no fence, hogs will be hogs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know that this is a high fence, and in some situations (disabilities and all) are good for hunters that other wise would not be able to enjoy the outdoors. But they are walking right up to you with no fear at all!
Sorry but it is not as I was told about high fence hunting. It looks more like a pig farm hunt with them coming up to you looking for more food.
They need to make the hogs afraid of the hunter not walk up and beg to be petted.
Mr. Harbison is welcome to take one of my spots on where I lease, anytime. It isn't high fence but even if it was, I wouldn't be knocking his dick into the dirt for it.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,671 Posts
Umm Harbison I really like your fishing post.. The hog hunting not so much...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It took Ralph Sr. over five hours of waiting near his wheel chair to finally get a shot. And the hogs he did shoot at were on the dead run. I never got a shot at a trophy, smaller ones, as in my pictures, yes. Those big boys, fence or no fence, are too darn smart.
Glad you like my fishing reports. As we get into our Fall & Winter seasons they will be few & far between. Hopefully, my clarification of Ralph Jr. will bring a better understanding of Tiger Island. After re-viewing the video, I see where you are coming from. Sir, if I did not know the circumstances, I too would have questions about that big baby. Thanks for calling the matter to my attention. Bob

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My name is Bob Harbison. I am a native Florida sportsman. I have been hunting all over the country. I have hunted from Florida to Maine & as far West as New Mexico. I have been hunting & fish around Central Florida for well over 1/2 a century. Now, at age 70, and with a replaced hip, I am forced to take it a little easier, thus Tigher Island. Don't think those darn hogs at TI are real easy to harvest. Smaller ones can sometimes be pretty easy, big boys are a different story.
I still fish the Florida Middle Grounds & Elbow. My next trip is scheduled for 9/28. I love the great outdoors & sharing my adventures with fellow sportsmen/women. I am proud to be an active member of the Florida Outdoor Writers Association. Bob H.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bob thanks for the video of the hog hunt. Don't let others on here knock what you do.
I have had wild turkeys...hens ,jakes walk within 5 steps of me while I'm getting ready to dust a mature Tom.
That hog and hunter pic was seriously funny ....I thought at first he,the hunter was waiting for a shot behind the hogs ear.
Keep up the good fishing /hunting post on here...I for one enjoy reading your post on here from the midddle ground fishing trips.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Advertising is not my thing. I work, pitch, for no one. However, I believe in furnishing as complete of a story as possible. I have lived all my life in Tampa. A little country store really means something to me, and hopefully others also. In addition, there would be no complete story without covering where the hunt took place. Had to make sure that 45/70 was on target. I believe in a clean, humane kill.

Middle Grounds: Hope, weather permitting, to visit the Grounds 9/28. I am booked for every weekend in October. For the next few months weather will be a determining factor. Oh well! More time for Tiger Island. I love both places. Bob

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,671 Posts
Would have been cool to see that .50 in action at point blank range on that "pet" sow.....

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I try to make people feel like they too are part of the action. "Try to put you down" Most like what I do. That's why I do it. For those who do not, the solution is really very simple: Don't read it! Some would rather start something than enjoy the action. To them I pay absolutely NO attention!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you sir. I needed that. Will be fishing the Grounds & Elbow, weather permitting, on a regular basis. Hope to visit both Tiger Island & my old hunting club of 21 years, Buck & Boar, often. I love sharing. To me my story pictures & video are every bit as important as catching a monster fish or harvesting that trophy. Bob

·
Banned
260 Posts
I am not knocking the story or the hunt I have wrote in and other posting of your that I believe that hunting high fence is some times needed as I did here. MY PROBLEM IS THE HOG WANTING TO BE PETTED IN A HUNT AREA!!!!!
not feeding at a feeder, being bait in, I do these things, but having pets WANTING TO BE PETTED, in a hunting area, I hunt hogs and you can not tell one from another, except color and some times a mark.
What you showed was pets, coming in to be petted, at the beginning and in the middle of the video. Talking out load, hogs can hear extremely well and talking so load will spook wild hogs.
I am not slamming you I am just telling you what you showed, If this was a crime and I was on a jury with the video as evidence I would say guilty.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:thumbup: Thank you!
Guys! I hear you, and agree. That big old hog was put into the TI hunting area by mistake. They are trying to catch & remove him. I know first hand that the hogs that are actually hunted are completely different.
Bloodhound & everybody else, thanks for calling this matter to my attention. I have corrected it. I sure hope U like my fishing & hunting reports. I pour everything I have into them. Best! Bob

1 - 20 of 36 Posts