Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, all i can say that i had a blast the past two days and would like to tell someone about. it. this past weekend has probably been the most fun i have ever had in the woods. it took place with many friends hunting together with a little bit of killing. let me start of with friday. friday about 2 in the afternoon we headed to our spot, me my brother and two other friends. well i know that this place gets pounded with hunters so i say do ya'll mind if we got a long drag and they never thought twice. we come to kill so do whatever it takes. i walk and walk get up in my tree on a powerlineand minutes after being up there 6 pigs walk out.well i knew that i had a drag so opted to shoot the smallest one. booomand a miss. well i thought it was only about 250 yards and it ended up being 350 by the range finder. oh well misjudgement on my part. ten minutes later after i get back up in my stand a bobcat walks 20 steps behind me and boom. gotcha. i have never seen a bobcat up close and before anyone bashes me i probably wont kill anymore of them turkey killing machines. it was a biggun. well i inspect it and climb back up my tree and ten minutes later a doe walks out around 200 yards. i watched her for a while then she threw her head up looking on my side of the powerline and i know that a buck is gonna come out. wrong. a monster pig walks out and walks dang near eye to eye with the doe. they have a stare down and both run off. i wanted to shoot the pig but did not want to run off my live bait in thepower line. well the doe comes right back out a few minutes later and guess what is behind her, yep a buck. not big but on management land its gotta go. Booom and he never moves, boom and he starts running and keeps running and boom he chin slides in the dirt. 185 yards.well all three shells hit where they were suppose to he just toted them off. its 4:45 and i am out of shells. i call the closest friend to come to me for back up and he comes and we are looking at the cowhorn and a doe walks out. three more walk out and it gets dark and we start dragging. no one else seen anything. saturday monring we are at the spot to beat everyone there at 5 and we are set up at day break ready. just me and another friend went and he texts me i just had a spike come by but gonna save it for my wife. well i had a doe come by me and another. i had my range finder today and put it on them and it said 250 but it did not look like that. well another deer comes out and all of a sudden another deer comes out right behind it and i knew it was a buck. put the scope on it and boooomm. after shooting hit the range finder and it said 404 yards. let me tell you it did not look that far. well i go pick up my friend because he aint seen anything else and as we are walking down the power line another buck runs accross the powerline. needless to say we never got the gun off our shoulders. we go look for that deer and i knew that i had missed. well, my girlfriend and his wife were going to hunt the afternoon with us so we just sit on the powerline and wait till 12:30. we see a doe cross at 10:30 and my girlfriend calls at 12:30and says hey we almost there and all of a suudden a giant steps out of the woods the same place the earlier one did. well i throw the phone down and yell buck and wild injun throws up his gun boom and yells i got em! he stands back up and he let her eats again, BOOOMMM. well it starts going back to ther other side of the powerline and tells me to shoot. well i done missed one time from this distance and i put it where i think it is suppose to be BOOOOMMMMMM. he does the mule kick and we figure he is right inside the woodline. we give him a few minutes and ease down there. find good blood and start trailing. well, we trail a ways and finally decide maybe we need to give him a little longer. we go pick up the girls and set them up on another spot where we had been seeing some good tracks. this was there first time without a guy with them and we make there ground blind and make sure they are ready. we left them and started looking for the deer again. we probably trailed him for three or four hundred yards with good blood. i mean when the deer stopped you could tell the bullet went through because of the different blood traillines on the trail. it crossed over two salous and pretty much ran through wide open timber the whole way. then the blood stopped and weaint got no idea where it went. we searched for i know two hoursfrom that point. i was for sure we would find him. oh well we did find a hell of a place to bow hunt next year that i bet only the animals in the woods know about it. well we go back to the power line about 4:30 and sit to talk it over and hope the girls shoot. well believe it or not a one horn cowhorn walks out a long ways away. my range finder would not even pick it up. guesstimate 600-700 yards. he is soon greeted by two does. we did not even try to stalk on him since it would be an absolute mile to drag. it almost is dark and we decide to go get the girls because about the time we get there it will be for sure enough dark. they still have yet to shoot and they had the green light on anything that crossed there path. we are within 100 yards of them and it is 5 till 6 and BOOOMMMM. my girlfrined calls me yelling i got him i got him. well we run up there and she said she was standing up to come meet us and turned around and saw a deer walking toward them. she said she shot him facing him which is a tough shot and then it ran in the woods and made a large thud noise. we ask her where she shot and she could not exactly tell where. we said where did it thud at, she she said it sounded like thirty or forty yards. in the bushes from right here.she said i know it had horns and so one so we looked with our flashlight and looked to no avail. well on the way home they were still both pretty confident that she had hit the deer so my only option was to go back this morning and look. Glad i did because we walked right passed it and it was right where they both thought it was. this is her first buck and only other deer than the doe she shot a month or so ago. i called her and told her i found it and she went absolutely hysterical. it is a nice basket rack 8 point from the swamp. she is pretty much getting it mounted. it aint by no means the biggest but she is mounting it since it is her first. i know this was a long post but i just could not help myself for it was an absolutely great weekend. probably the most fun i have ever had. i wish the season extended one more week cause of the things i know now. they are rutting hard and chasing does. my tally for the weekend was seeing6 bucks and 7 does. i did not kill but one buck and could not find another but it was fun. i guess i will watch for buzzards during rabbit season in that area and go look for it. thanks for taking the time to read.

i have never seen a bobcat up close in personal. do they normally have more spots or is this a good looking one?

looks like i will have to wreck the hogs the rest of the season.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
Thats awesome man good huntin story! Good job on the season and this weekend sounded like an absolute blast. Congrats to the girlfriend and nice bobcat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts