Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hunt in a neighborhood but nowhere near homes.

Anyway, the other day at work I was asked by someone who lives next to someone else's hunting lease about the rules regarding shooting near a house. I have no clue but I know people who have taken deer from driveways, back porches and bedroom windows (we all know THAT guy).

But what's the official word? What's the law on that?

·
Registered
869 Posts
as far as I know, AS Long as you are out of city limits, the next caveat is "that the shooting is done in a safe manor."

·
Registered
689 Posts
See if this helps. Found on the FWC site. http://myfwc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2474&p_created=1171048205&p_sid=KnR3tkSj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjUwLDI1MCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1odW50aW5nIG5lYXIgaG9tZXM!&p_li=&p_topview=1

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=title></TD><TD class=title width="100%">Shooting near roads or houses or from vehicles.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=subtitle></TD><TD class=subtitle>Question</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell></TD><TD class=textcell id=desc>How far do you have to be from a road, home, or other structure to hunt or shoot a gun?</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=subtitle></TD><TD class=subtitle>Answer</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell></TD><TD class=textcell id=soln>

There is no set distance that you must be from a roadway or occupied structure before you can hunt or shoot a gun. You need to check with local authorities in the area in questionbecause there may be local regulations. Even if there are no regulations, a person is liable for their actions if they cause harm and/or are negligent.

With regard to discharging a firearm, Chapter 790.15, Florida Statutes (F.S.), states:
"790.15 Discharging firearm in public.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.

(2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "

According to Chapter 790.001(6), F.S., '"Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun...".

It is a felony (5 years imprisonment, $5000 fine, or both) to shoot over or across someone else?s land without permission, even if there is no house or other structure at all.

Armed trespass, s. 810.09(2)(c): If the offender is armed with a firearm or other dangerous weapon during the commission of the offense of trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance, he or she is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Trespass by projectile, s. 810.09(2)(h): Any person who in taking or attempting to take any animal described in s. 379.101(19) or (20), or in killing, attempting to kill, or endangering any animal described in s. 585.01(13) knowingly propels or causes to be propelled any potentially lethal projectile over or across private land without authorization commits trespass, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. For purposes of this paragraph, the term "potentially lethal projectile" includes any projectile launched from any firearm, bow, crossbow, or similar tensile device.

View the entire Statutes online at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?Tab=statutes&submenu=-1&CFID=7025487&CFTOKEN=39765571.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
497 Posts
Joe Z. Several years ago in the Blackwater WMA a group of hunters were making a deer drive across the road from an individuals house.The property they were huntingis part of the WMA.The hunters got up 3or4 bucks and proceeded to lay down a small scale war on these bucks. After all the shooting ceased, the hunters bunched up to admire the 2 bucks that were killed. All of a sudden several of Okaloosa Co. green and white units showed up and one deputy with an attitude inform several hunters that they were going to be arrested for discharging a firearm, trespassing,and some other charges. The homeowner had called these officers and they were on his side until the hunters explained that they were within their rights to hunt where they did. Fl.Game and Fish Comm.( pre-FFWCC) officers showedup to calm eveyone down.Anyway the homeowner was extermly upset. Did the hunters do anything wrong? Some would say no and others would say yes.I have hunted in Blackwater WMA for the past 30 years and I can tell you that I have killed some nice bucks within several hundred yards of private property. In fact one of the largest bucks killedon Blackwater WMA in the early1990's was taken in the small triangle of property east ofNorman Riley's house and the Environmental Center Rd.The hunters saw Norman in his yard and askhim if he mind they hunt the property and he stated to them to go ahead it's DOF property.They told him " the largest buck in this forest lives right there" pointing to the triangle east of his house. Two afternoons later ,just after dark ,the hunters drove up too his house to show him their trophy.Most hunters stay away from residences. I ask the homeowner if he minds. Most realize its state property and just ask you not to shoot toward their residence. Justuse common sense.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
From the hunting regulations hand book.

¦ Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under

power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel?s

progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may

shoot wildlife.

¦ Discharging firearms over paved public roads, rights-of-way,

highways, streets or occupied premises is prohibited.

¦ Shooting or propelling potentially lethal projectiles over or across

private land without authorization in order to take game is considered

criminal trespassing and is a felony.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

I didn't think was illegal, just wanted to know so when it gets loud and home owners complain, I'll have an answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts