Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hunt, Fish, Race, repeat!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things First...

My husband is deployed and this is the first year I have ever totally been solo in the woods. Not saying that I don't hunt along, but somewhere my husband is usually doing the samething. I am not totally inexperienced I have been hunting over the last decade (I know that is nothing compared to some) but the last three years I have been at it hard. I have found a new addiction! I know this because rather then spending money on randomness I live in basspro/cabelas... ect. =) I have killed a couple young bucks but nothing to really write home about. I have never really had anyone teach me anything as far as hunting because when my husband and I got married I was already doing it. Truth is I read alot of forums and other experiences and try to learn from there failures or sucesses. I was hunting 160 acres in North Holmes Co. up until two weeks ago when I found that my feeders had been cut up at the shooting house and the straps holding my ladder stand on loosened. I actually was climbing up and the stand slipped I almost fell! I can only imagine how bad that would have ended up! I have not had alot of luck this year. There are two wild horses on that 160 acres and my husbands grandpa unknownly took a stroll (it is his land) and walked the horses deep into the woods right to my stand! So with everything happening I just don't feel safe hunting there anymore. Breaks my heart to because the last time I headed in over there I noticed about 10 fresh scraps about 30yards from my stand coming from a thick thick area in the pines. Anyway, all of that was just some good reading for you. If you are still hanging with me here goes the question... I took a one man chair blind and sat up on top of a hill at my mother in laws last weekend. Just to see what I might see. Pines to my left, windrows in front of me, and hardwoods behind me.... I never saw anything saturday afternoon, but I did hear the neatest thing. It was 5:34pm and I yawned. Well, I heard this kinda odd noise but kinda puzzled thought it was myself sucking air in (you know how sometimes you will do that when you yawn). Then just a few seconds later in a more complex and different pitch I heard it again. Deeper this time, followed by a softer shorter grunting noise. It dawned on me that it wasn't me I was hearing but a buck! (I do know what one sounds like) I heard something moving back into the hardwoods but I never saw anything. I have a true talker call, but I did not have it with me (I am not real confident in using it anyway). Had I had it with me, should I have tried to call back? If so what type of call should I have used? I didn't stay up long enough Sunday morning to see anything. My husband emailed me and said he was going to be calling home so I got down and headed to the house. (He is in Afghanistan so I try to never miss his calls) However, I noticed that on my way in there were alot of tracks... ALOT heading from the windrows up the hill. Some of them were more pointed on the end (my dad always said these were does most of the time) there were two sets that also appeared to be deer running as the toes were spread fairly wide. Then there was a set that seemed alot more "at ease" to say the least the deer didn't appear to be in a real rush, but these tracks were almost twice the size of the other and the toe was distinctive. It was totally rounded, the tips curved in... was this maybe a buck? The reason I ask is because they were fresh tracks. Almost like I had missed the deer because I got down early that morning. I did get a rather wild show again that afternoon right before dark. I had closed my eyes for just a second (litterally, they were just dry feeling... I wasn't sleeping) and when I opened them there was a ashy gray spot about 75 ft in front of me. It was that time where it is really hard to spot a deer right off due to the lack of light. Well, she didn't act like she spotted me although she was staring up the hill at me. She kinda flicked her tail and pranced off out of my line of sight into a windrow. Then I heard a doe bleat... with in just a min or two. I had five does (this yearling I had just saw) leading the way up the hill. They paid no mind to me. Then on of them moved off alone and was just sniffing the ground all over and would bleat.. and sniff... bleat and sniff... What does that mean??? I never saw a buck, but you think one is there? You think he is there this weekend too? If so... what do I do to get a good sight of him? I normally hunt over corn so this "real hunting" is all new to me. =)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
sounds like a cool place to sit! there's no telling what will happen when you sit during the rut. if you're seeing the does, there's a chance you'll see a buck that comes along after them (or to them). best of luck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
When a doe comes into estrus, and is being persued by a buck, most times she and her fawn become seperated. Some might say the buck runs it off. Maybe the fawn is unable to keep up. What ever the reason the seperation does occure.
This bleating/sniffing you describe, sounds like one or the other (doe/fawn) trying to reunite with the other.
With the ammount of does you describe, I'm sure the others will be coming into estrus real soon. I would be in that same area as soon as possible. This is just my $.02 worth. Good luck !!, and tell us the rest of the story... with pics !

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys! I just got word that someone caught a glimpse of a wide rack buck in the pasture about 300 yards from my hill first of the week. I think I may go take my camera from my old stand and put up out there. There were several game trails that I saw coming from the hardwoods last weekend, maybe off one of those. Who knows.. maybe I will get lucky... maybe its him... maybe he will actually be something to write my husband about! Oh all the maybes are driving me crazy!! :clapping:And if I get lucky enough to see him and take him I will definately post photos! I live in Navarre and didnt want to fight the weather driving up or I would be there now. I think I am gonna head up first thing in the morning though. Which brings me to another question... How long are you guys sitting in the mornings? I usually get down around 9. Should I stay up longer this time of year?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
In the rut Bucks chase Does all the time, I used to set all day or as long as humanly possible. I have actually seen more big Bucks from 10 until 2.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really.. I will keep that in mind. I may try to sit a bit longer then and go in a bit earlier in the afternoon. I have been getting in the woods just before light breaks till 9, and then about 230 till I can't see anymore. The one down fall of being a girl... I can't "go" in a bottle! lol So I eventually have to head back to the house if for nothing but that =)

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
Hunt as long as you can stand it. Sounds like your putting in a respectable amount of time already. Let us know if you get him! Im gonna go out on a limb here and go ahead and admit im envious of your husband. Most all of us wish we had a woman at home that could get it done on her own. I hope he gets home safely to you soon. Good luck Tiffany! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts