Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like seeing big racked bucks and everything. Like to kill them. I'm just curious what changed from hunting for meat vs hunting for horns now days. Back in the day horns were tossed to the side. Didn't matter to them.

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
I'll shoot a cowhorn and not feel bad about it... but any idiot can kill a 1yr old cowhorn. After I have a few for the freezer, I try to kill mature bucks, because it's harder. If I wanted to kill em just to kill em, there wouldn't be any left... hopefully the ole "brown and down" mentality will die out with all these derelict idiots that are out there shooting everything that walks by.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Roll Tide
300 Posts
I love killing a big buck, but I also will shoot whatever I wanna put in the freezer. I think most trophy hunters just wanna show off the horns. When I was growing up, we shot deer for meat and didn’t care what it was. Kill what you wanna kill and don’t worry about what everybody else is doing.

·
I'VE never caught a
1,633 Posts
I was wondering the same thing this morning when I let a pair of 8 points and a decent 7 point walk just because I know that there are a lot bigger bucks in the area. Also i have a full freezer, but just a couple of years ago i would have seen if i could have dusted all 3 of them for the hell of it.

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Depends on where I am hunting. Public land, if its legal its in the freezer! My place, does till the freezer is full then horns! Florida should let you kill does during riffle season and or a tag system for them. So as for me, fill the freezer, can't eat horns

·
Registered
831 Posts
Probably when Texas took a huge turn in the 90s with quality deer management, TV shows, then everyone seeing that big deer are cool just like women with big boobies. We all have to look doesn't matter how big those jokers are. Plus it has made for a way better deer herd across the US over what it use to be. One thing I hope we never go back to in regards to the "Good ole days."

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'll shoot a cowhorn and not feel bad about it... but any idiot can kill a 1yr old cowhorn. After I have a few for the freezer, I try to kill mature bucks, because it's harder. If I wanted to kill em just to kill em, there wouldn't be any left... hopefully the ole "brown and down" mentality will die out with all these derelict idiots that are out there shooting everything that walks by.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tell those derelict idiots to come to dallas county. we got way too many deer.
every time i go to p'cola to hop a boat, i leave about 1am and can't get through south dallas county without seeing at least 25 deer. i've even killed some with my vehicle. progressive says the next one i hit one will make the vehicle totaled.

jack

Reactions: John B.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
tell those derelict idiots to come to dallas county. we got way too many deer.
every time i go to p'cola to hop a boat, i leave about 1am and can't get through south dallas county without seeing at least 25 deer. i've even killed some with my vehicle. progressive says the next one i hit one will make the vehicle totaled.

jack
Hey Jack, find me a place and I'll do my part to take care of that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
To each their own, depends on the property, who's pulling the trigger, the state, the season and the reason. I have shot younger bucks, I have let a ton more go. I occasionally get permission to hunt on a buddy's farm land, they have 1 rule, watch all you want, but if you don't shoot a deer before you leave, then don't bother coming back, they planted one field 3 times one year due to the amount of deer. At my property, I don't shoot the does, 3 years of camera's running 24/7 shows I don't have a over run problem, the herd is about a 2 to 1 buck to doe ratio, I know, weird for around here. Unfortunately, I just had the unfortunate task of meeting my neighbors "permission to hunt guy", he and his family of 5 all hunt, and shooting everything that walks. Bragging that they had shot a 3 pt, spike and 3 does so far, that was 7 days into bow season. I politely said I'm sure it was a challenge, I feed them year round, plant year round and they are out in daylight daily because until now they never had to worry about being bothered. Management and big bucks only work on large tracts or tracts where everybody is on the same page. I was on a lease that only shot "6 pt" or better, stupid ass rule, should be more strict like age or width, second to the last day of the season I shot a young 1.5 year old 6 pt, right at daylight, didn't realize how young he was, part of it was "I have to get my deer mentality I was raised around", part of it was frustration. They didn't believe in shooting does. One member said, well there isn't much to him, I said nope, it was early, end of season, I had to shit like a MFer and you don't allow me to shoot any of the 9 does that were standing there with him. I don't think as sportsman we should judge each other. Do you know their circumstances, experience, time they have to hunt, pay their taxes on private land, lease fees on a lease? If you don't agree, just be an adult and shut up is my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts