Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
original poonbat
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning I hunted out in yellow river till about 10am. after that I went and checked out a few spots I found using bing maps,way better than google earth. my question is in a lot of these places people have built shooting houses. these are free standing shooting blinds out in the wma. is it legal to build these houses on the management area? if it is legal what is the hunting "etiquette" on using these blinds?

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
I like most people believe proper hunting "etiquette" is to leave other peoples property alone whether it is a tree stand , game camera , blind , hunting house or turck.
I always go by the simple rule that ether something is yours or it is not. JMO

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Why would someone build a fixed shooting house on public land? Probably hoping to claim the spot as their own. I wouldn' t hunt in it but if it was where I wanted to hunt, I wouldn't hesitate to jack up a tree close by.

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
I know exactly where you're talking about... All of the property used to be private a few years back... then the state bought it...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
As I see it, those stands are not owned by anyone. If the stand is safe - use it. If someone challenges you , say sorry, move on and call a game warden. When the land was sold, the owners gave ownership up. You are correct you can not build a permanent stand on a WMA.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
If I park my car in a specific spot in a public parking lot, that I have painted a distinctive color, should I EXPECT no one else to park there ?
It's a public parking area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wouldn't hunt in it but agree that you could hunt next to it. Not illegal to have a box stand on a wma as long as it is not nailed to a tree or left after season is over as it probably says in rule book.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I could take you to 10+ treestands in Blackwater most of which have been there for years. I'll never climb and hunt them but I have climbed a tree next to one and killed deer. I found these spots on Google Earth and didn't follow anyone in. You may think you found a spot nobody hunts but they do when you aren't there so it's no problem to hunt there. Hunt it but don't use the stands.

Espo sounds like he knows what you are talking about and it sounds like whoever owned it before decided it wasn't worth it to remove the stands. I assume it's swampy and those box stands can weight hundreds of pounds.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
If I park my car in a specific spot in a public parking lot, that I have painted a distinctive color, should I EXPECT no one else to park there ?
It's a public parking area.
if i was to park my truck in a public parking lot by allmeans park on one side n park a buddy on the other its all good.................but dont climb up and get comfy in my cab thatd be a quick way for one to warm up their dancin shoes :boxing:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have some stands located in the yellow river swamp. Not many other people hunt the area but if someone were to be parked and intering where I do I wouldn't go in on top of them. I don't in any way put them up to claim the area . Some are deep on the swamp and much easier to hunt from than a climber. I don't have an issue with someone hunting them at all just don't want them to try and completely take over. They look like shooting houses,,may be mine. PM me

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
out of respect i think you should stay out of other peoples stuff the spot is not theirs but the stand is......just tote your climber if you want to hunt that spot, but i would definately not go getting in someone elses shooting house..............that is if you want to avoid the possibility of a potentially serious confrontation........just my .02

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I wouldn't hunt them. That being said, if you put a stand up on public land, just expect someone else to sit it.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,908 Posts
Not if I shoot first. Don't hang a stand in the woods if you don't want someone else in it.

I have 8 stands on the Pascagoula River, If I see a boat close to the area I wont even go near them, but If someone gets dropped off and there is no boat there and I walk in on someone in my stand, they will be getting out of "right directly", if you are too lazy to put your own stands up, you sure as hell will not be freeloading in any of mine !

wouldnt ever think of shooting someone for anything unless I felt my life was endangered, but I have no problem convincing someone to get on down in other ways ! :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts