Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far everyone on this site has given me some really good advice. i killed my first deer this year and im hooked, big time. i have 4 boys and they all love to fish and bird huntbut i want to introduce them to deer hunting. if i join a club this year, i dont really want to step into a bunch of rules. i would like to get a few deer under my belt and in the freezer before i start counting horns. i know a lot of you will disagree. i just think i would be better off in a club that allows a few does and anything spike or bigger. am i foolish for thinking this way? my buddys response was, he never found a recipe for horn stew. one day i will be after the big rack but for now i would like to keep it simple. what are some of your thoughts? thanks, jeremy

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only problem I see with shooting the smaller bucks is that youwon't have the larger deer in the herd as you don't give them time to grow. We cull some does on our lease so as we get the buck doe ratio right.We are 6 point or better with guest 8 points . Saw some nice ones taken on our lease as for me 0 but managed to put some does in the freezer. Getting out in the woods is what it is all about and enjoying nature & the scenery. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
if youre just wanting to kill, why not just hunt public land. just think about it, how many acres are all the different WMAs around here? hundreds of thousands of acres for you to hunt for little to no money. pick up a bow for cheap after the season and that gives you access to unlimited does. i know people on this forum that have killed close to 20does during bow season alone from public land this season. if you hunt the AL wmas that are close by you can even kill does with a gun!! plus bowhunting is a unbelievable sport. once you start slinging arrows at them you will feel like pickin up a gun is cheating, but in a good way:letsdrink

if you start scouting right after the season ends you can find plenty of great places for next year. scout all offseason and by the time hunting season comes you will have so many great places you will have to pull out of a hat to go hunting!!

what are you wanting to get in a club for?? you dont care about killing big bucks so i just dont see the point in paying club dues. the only reason i could see would be to sit on food plots in a shooting house... and if you hunt a FL club you will only be able to kill does for 1 week out of the season.but if thats your gig, go for it. youll find some openings after the season is over. good luck

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i just reread your post and saw you dont want to get into a club with any rules. man you are talkin about basically hunting public land. any club thats around that is state legal with no rules is gonna be a cluster f*ck. do a lil scouting in the offseason, put in some feet time and find some out of the way places on public land, hang a few stands and lock them in and i guarantee youll have a blastnext season. in fact, im gonna do alot more public land hunting next year too.

·
Super Moderator
28,502 Posts
Ryan is 100 billion % right, but you wanting the kids to hunt poses problems on management land since thieves are everywhere (kinda hard ta put buddy stands out and expect folks to leave em alone):banghead Many clubs will allow children to kill a "small" buck as a 1st, but they will frown when there is 4 of em. Ifin the kids are older and can easily learn to use a climber, management lands would be the way to go....Ifin they are younger and have'nt got a kill by next season, keep a hold of me and I'll make sure a couple of em can at least try to get their 1st at my place like I do fer youngins every year....:letsdrink

·
Registered
325 Posts
Jason (1/29/2010)Ryan is 100 billion % right, but you wanting the kids to hunt poses problems on management land since thieves are everywhere (kinda hard ta put buddy stands out and expect folks to leave em alone):banghead Many clubs will allow children to kill a "small" buck as a 1st, but they will frown when there is 4 of em. Ifin the kids are older and can easily learn to use a climber, management lands would be the way to go....Ifin they are younger and have'nt got a kill by next season, keep a hold of me and I'll make sure a couple of em can at least try to get their 1st at my place like I do fer youngins every year....:letsdrink

:clap :bowdown That's a great gesture you just offered that man and his kids! I with you, nothing like seeing that smile on a youngsters face on their 1st kill. I also agree with Ryan on this one!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everybody. and thanks for the offer, jason. i ran into a old buddy of mine earlier this week and he was stoked that i got my first deer. he offered his property to me when ever i want it. i will help with the management of the plots and shooting houses. it is in the middle of nowhere. its very peaceful out there. i would love to take you up on your offer. my kids would love being out there seeing other kids involved. i believe if my parents would have gotten me hooked on the outdoors early on, it would have saved a lot of time bailing me out of trouble as a stupid kid running the roads drinking and smoking the tweeds. thanks again for all the comments and good luck today and tomorrow. jeremy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts