Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever do it? I’m looking at doing a spring bear hunt and possibly a fall moose hunt. I think the moose hunt is gonna blow my budget but I’m still considering it.

What’s the best way of choosing an outfitter? I have looked at a few DIY boat hunts. I like the idea as I can fish if the hunting is slow. Plus I set the bar low and just enjoy the scenery and time. Everything else would be a plus.
I would prefer to hunt with someone based on an actual real recommendation. I can google folks till I’m blue in the face but you never really know until your there I guess.

·
Praedator
10,005 Posts
DIY in Alaska and not a resident is next to impossible money wise. Most laws require non-residents to have a native guide for some species etc...

Hence the outrageous prices for outfitters etc...

I haven't looked into it fully. But after spending two weeks there in May, I want to go back to hunt in my lifetime for sure!

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
I have a friend who can help you. I’ll get some info. I’ve hunted bear there and it was a blast...although it’s cold in the summer and light all night!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got back from a DIY caribou that we went on for my dads 63rd birthday up there. shoot me a PM if you have any questions I can help with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from a DIY caribou that we went on for my dads 63rd birthday up there. shoot me a PM if you have any questions I can help with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome.

I was up there last week and got to meet some folks that were fresh off moose and caribou hunts. I got a little bit of info but everyone I really got to speak with was local so the situations are obviously different.

I will shoot you a PM.

·
Registered
732 Posts
From my understanding the only animals in Alaska that require a guide is Dall Sheep and Brown Bear. You do not need a guide for a Moose hunt and can do a DIY drop camp moose hunt. I know a few people that have done these along with Caribou and have been very successful. Money wise you are looking at anywhere from $5,000-$7,000 depending on what gear you have, plane rental, care rental, shipping meat back etc etc.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
if you do get a bear and cook it, remember that the meat has trichinella and the meat should be thoroughly cooked.

jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts