Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 14 and wants us to try and hunt this year, and I know he doesn't need a license and according to what ive read he dosent need the saftey course till 16 also? Is this correct

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,610 Posts
Yes, he needs it to get his hunting license with. BUT, it's still a good idea to let him go thru the course, it's free and it's to his advantage. Safety First.
Also, if "you" think he's too young, you can let him re-do it again when he turns 16.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he did the online part and can print out his field day certificate but I cant find a field day event.. and they want to charge him 25$ to print out his certificate

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
In Florida he does not need to purchase a hunting license until he reaches 16 years old and thus does not need to have his hunters education until he is also 16 years old. Until he achieves this he must hunt with an adult at least 21 years or older. If the person he is hunting with was born after June 1, 1975 then that person must have their hunters education completed.

From the hunting regulations book.
Anyone born on or after June 1, 1975 must complete a hunter safety course before purchasing a hunting license. Children under age 16 may hunt with adult supervision without having to take a hunter safety course. Persons 16 and older who have not completed a hunter safety course can use a one-time Mentoring Exemption enabling them to purchase a license and hunt within the supervision of a mentoring adult who is at least 21 years old. Persons needing proof of course completion can print a duplicate certification card at MyFWC.com/HunterSafety.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,610 Posts
not sure about the $25 fee. My son took it 2 yrs ago w/o any fees. You'll have to call FWC and ask them when the next firing day is scheduled. The 2d day/part is the hands-on for familiarization. He shoots a 12 or 20 gauge, and the bow and arrow. They what them to ensure they are doing everything safely. (Handling/pointing safe direction/loading/unloading).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts