Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Headin Out
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.....I just installed a used H-bird 200 dx on my Ghenoe.This unit was on my dads boat untill we hit something last year and lost the transducer...unit worked fine till then.....NOW it still works good(got a new transducer).....and everything is ok untill i turn on the trolling motor.The thing goes haywire......lose the bottom ...375 ft deep....erratic markings on the screen then it turns off. First thought was a weak battery...changed it and went back fishing last night and the same thing. Second thought was interference cause i had the transducer cable taped to the trolling motor wires...undid them and same thing.
Anyone have any ideas what could be happening?
Thanks,Gary

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Dont see how it could be but ill ask Is the trolling motor prop close to where the transducer is mounted and pushing disturbed water over the face of the transducer when it's running?

Next guess would be interference if the trolling motor is hooked into the same battery that powers the hummingbird?

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Is the FF and the trolling motor pulling from the same power source?

·
Headin Out
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes ..Ive got one deep cycle powering everything...and that must be the problem.....Ive just never seen it before.....It only seems to do it when the trolling motor is at high speed....if i slow it down it does ok.....these are brand new batteries im using ...didnt think it would drop the voltage that low....
I dont really have room for another full size battery on board...would a small 12v, like a lawnmower battery work ok?

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,234 Posts
I had some similar problem and found the cause was a damaged cable to the transducer where it got pinched in the bow mount swing arm. I cut out the damaged spot in the cable and spliced all the wires back together, wrapped them in tinfoil like in the cable itself and tape over the splice and all is fine. I assume the tinfoil is there to reduce inteference. A new transducer for my Humminbird 798ci HD si combo is $179.00.
My trolling motor and Hummer run off the same battery with no problem.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,665 Posts
I'd contact Humminbird via e-m. Takes a few days but they will reply and you get to communicate with the same tech rep for your questions.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It sounds like it getting EFI really bad when the trolling motor is running..switch it to another battery for sure, you could run a small 7 amp 12vdc battery on it by it self...battery is like the one you would find on a home alarm system. Radio Shack or your local battery warehouse will have them.

·
Headin Out
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.....I think Im going to try the different battery idea first since the transducer and cable are new.
It sure is crazy how it doesnt affect the H Bird when its out of the water.....trolling motor wide open...no problem.Maybe with it in the water there is enough load to drop the voltage....on second thought,Im going outside to check the cable..maybe i damaged it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts