Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a cheap fishfinder other to replace the handheld one I use now. I'm probably going to get the Humminbird PiranhaMAX 150 and wonder if anyone uses this one. If so, whats the best way to mount the transducer for a yak? Will it shoot through the hull if I mounted inside my yak? Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot directly through the hull on my yak. I didn't want to silicon the transducer down, as I plan on upgrading kayaks pretty soon, so I just use a big gob of vasoline to keep the transducer in place & in good contact w/the hull. Make sure there are no air bubbles.

About the pirahnamax...spend the extra $10 or so to get the 160 series. With the 150, you only get a single beam, whereas the 160 has a 20/60 dual beam.

·
Registered
503 Posts
First You might want to check out eagle, never had much luck with Humminjunk. Eagle will be the same price if not cheaper, but much better IMOP.

They will shoot through the hull, Marine goop works well for this. Just be sure to not get air bubbles under it, lots of youtube videos to help you with instalation.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I went through 3 Humminbird Piranhmax's before deciding they were not designed for kayaks and have been very happy with my Eagle.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up getting the 150. I'm cheap and I only had $85 on my Bass Pro card, so I didn't have much choice. Installed and works great! Shoots through hull with no troubles. Installed with Goop. Using mainly as a depth tool anyways, so the fish finding part doesn't really matter. Thanks for the answers guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts