Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys on here could give me a little help.
I was able to purchase my first kayak earlier in the year, a used Hobie Outback. I got it at a very nice price with a whole load of extras, in fact most of the things that I need to go kayak fishing with.

I was looking for a fishfinder/Gps combo for it, and ended up purchasing a Humminbird 597 Hd, Di, off of Craigs list. The unit was brand new, in an opened box, never been installed, for $220.

I contacted Humminbird and asked them questions about installing in on my kayak, shooting the transducer through the hull. They assured me that there would be very little signal loss, and it would be perfect for the application. If maybe a little overkill for a kayak.

I know a lot of you guys have installed the Humminbird units, and shoot through the hull. What is your experience as to how they work? Do all the features work etc? Especially the down imagining, also how about the speed and water temp features. Surely the temp cannot be accurate?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Yours Sincerely
Karl Hyde

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a di rigged inside the hull of my outback and a di rigged underneath my pro angler. You can't tell a difference in the quality. Only thing I think would really be affected would be side scan .

·
Registered
238 Posts
But I will say that the water temperature doesn't read right mounted through the hull but 98% of the time that doesn't matter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas so far guys. I had looked at the flexible transducer arm mount, made by Ram mount. The only concern I had with this, is the arm long enough to be submerged a decent amount? I had concerns that with any side to side rocking motion, the transducer would leave the water and then re enter, over and over.
Thanks also Rolex.
The unit I purchased has the DI, and that's one feature that I definitely do not want to lose.. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also another question for you guys whilst I think of it.

I saw in the Florida Sportsman Store that they sell, sd cards, of all the florida fishing areas, both Gulf and Atlantic. You choose your area, purchase the card that is right for your Model of fish finder combo, and then just upload the fishing areas/spots onto your unit using a sd card.

Do any of you guys have any experience with these cards, are they worth the money? I realize that a lot of these public areas are heavily fished, especially the ones close to kayak reaching range. I would be interested for being able to find areas of rough ground etc.

Thanks again guys....Karl

·
Big Dog
173 Posts
DEpending on where you place it on your yak. I have mine placed so it sits a good foot or so under the yak. You can also bend it to fit wherever you want it.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Lowrance makes a scupper mount for transducers, I don't see why they wouldn't work for a Humminbird transducer. That's the way my transducer is mounted in my outback, through one of the rear scuppers then a wire cap over that th run the wired back inside the hull.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I am definitely interested in the Ram Mount flexible arm, but the scupper plug mount seems like a great idea as well.

Does anybody know if the Lowrance scupper plug mount, can be used with a Humminbird unit?

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
It should, if the transducers are the same width where the bolt goes through it. You can bring your transducer over and we can check it on mine, or you can take it to west marine and check it there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know humminbird makes a scupper mount transducer as well. I'm not sure how they work with the outback though. I have Prowler Big game that has the recessed scupper for mounting a transducer, so it works for my situation. I was able to get one for free (plus shipping) recently. I called the customer service folks at humminbird and told them what I needed. They set me up with a work order code for the order. Then I shipped my original unused transom mount transducer to them, and within a week I had a scupper mount transducer. I have yet to install it, but it's supposed to work well.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Does anybody know if the Lowrance scupper plug mount, can be used with a Humminbird unit?
While I don't own one of these mounts, I do have a scupper mounted transducer for my 798ci SI. And I drove past a Hioliday Inn Express once...

I went and looked at pictures of the mount and installs and I see no reason why it wouldn't work with pretty much any eye mounted transducer. You will probably have to fabricate some shims or something, but that is no big deal. I wish I had seen one of these a couple of years ago when I bought my unit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had that same model for two years, used it in two different kayaks with this mount: http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-740125-1-Marine-Mount-Transducer/dp/B00CO9EHB8

That mount is perfect for what it is, but pricey. I won mine in a tournament and was EXTREMELY happy with the performance of it. I also stored and carried my kayak on it's side at all times. Never once did it slip, move or leak the entire time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts