Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell All,

Just wanted to see what owners of the 798ci SI thought about it and what the advantages and disadvantages are. Also, whatis the max depth and speed users have noticed? I have heard great reviews from freshwater users and none from saltwater users. How does it work inshore and offshore?

Thanks in advance to all,

Josh

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'd check out the depth the side image will work in saltwater if that's an issue. The 900 series has the same transducer as the 1100 and it is only good to 150 ft in freshwater (haven't gone that deep in salt yet). I know the 700 series is a less powerful transducer, but I don't know the depth it will do.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I like it enough that I set up a 997 CSI as a portable unit that I can take out on other boats. Had a bracket made for the transducer that fits in a rod holder. The only drawback with the portable set up is you can only hang the transducer at idle speeds. I've never tried it deeper than 120 feet but it seems to work just fine. Operating as a normal bottom machine it is clear and crisp. The side scan works best going in straight lines, in turns it compresses one side and expands the other.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
The West Marine on Barrancas has one on display and powered up... The screen is a bit small but you can look at one side only and that looked okay.

Buttons are a little small but far enough apart that they don't seem to be a problem.

It's a pretty nifty mount, there are no cables to the unit itself, all the cables are in the mount and the unit snaps in to the mount. There's a cover available for the mount when the head is taken off.

It also swivels horizontally and vertically.

I've also read on line that depending on the boat and where you can mount a transducer that it may only see to one side as the outboard might block the other. You can buy a second transducer and a splitter as a fix.

Jim

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
The Portable Humminbird 997 CSI. I made it portable so that I could take it on customers boats to get the side scan sonar. I've used it as deep as 120 feet and it has performed as advertised. Keep in mind that it works best at slow speeds and in straight lines. Humminbird should pay me a finders fee because I have installed a few of these after my friends got a chance to see it in action.

I use two different brackets for mounting the transducer, the short straight one goes on boats with no swim platform, I just bolt up the mounting adapter on the transom with a backing plate and there is no worry about the boat interfering with the operation of the transducer. The tall one is used on boats with swim platforms and it is longer so that it gets past the keel of the boats. The long one is bolted to a rodholder downrigger bracket. If the hull blocks the sonar you lose half of the display that's the reason that one is so long because it's used on different boats. Again these are just for idling around to get dead on the spots. WOT will twist these babies up in a heartbeat. The were made by Canvas Specialties in Ft Walton. The short one is 3/4 inch thick wall stainless. The long one is 1 1/4 thick wall stainless. The 3/4 inch didn't work well on the long bracket.

I use ball and socket type mounts for the display. On the boats that it gets used on i just mount the ball bracket either on the console or under the electronics box. The GPS antenna I mounted on a rail mount, it has an insert for smaller railings. I also keep a transducer extension cable so I can run the cable from the cockpit to the upper helm.

The display is 7" X 4" and it gives a clear crisp bottom display. With the HDSI transducer it works great to 1500 feet. Has built in GPS, ability to put the cursor on a spot on the display, mark a waypoint and save it.

The rail mount for the GPS antenna gives a wide range of mounting possibilities.

As a portable unit having a cigarette lighter adapter plug is a must.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The jury's still out on my 798. I started off with 2 bad transducers. They replaced them, but it took a lot of troubleshooting. Had to send the main unit back to them too for them to confirm that the unit was OK.

Everything seems to be working now. I planned to use it primarily in the bay. So far it has not been as helpful as I thought. Rocks are not jumping out at me. The fishfinder is very good, however, and I am getting a lot of use of it. Hopefully, my learning curve will improve on the side sonar, and I can adjust sensitivity, etc to find more structure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I took mine out yesterday early afternoon and just worked with it in about 30-50 feet of freshwater. There is a definite difference in the visibility of the screen when the sun is on it.

I'm going to try to work out some sort of sunshield - does anybody know if they make one?

If you've got a good view of the screen you can see rocks pretty well, but they don't jump out at you. Small trees and brush, not so well, but I'm still learning to adjust it. I know the data is there because I can see it when I record and play back indoors, but it's hard to see on the water.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
In my research I found this...

http://www.raptorfishing.com/electronics-glare-guards.html

It velcros on... not sure how secure it is. You can "cross-reference the Hummingbird models.

You should be able to find one that fits...

Now I'm leaning to a Lowrance HDS-7. It doesn't come with Side scan but it's upgradable... They also build the i-command guages on my Evinrude so it'll be easier to network I think. More $$$, but more expandable I think... I'll eventually add a second cheap unit forward too.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts