Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many times I have trailered my boat after a day of fishing and there is some nasty brown "scum" on the hull. Always beforeI had to use rubbing compound to get it white again. The other day I was in Academy and bought some stuff called Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner (9$). Well that is the first time I can remember buying something and the name said it all. I wiped that stuff on, and rinsed it off 2 minutes later and the brown stuff was gone. Also got rid of the stains that come out of the many different drains on the boat. I just had to go back and get the spotsI missed the first time. Great stuff, I highly recommend it. On thing I will do next time it wet the trailer first, because it left some spots in the galvanized surface.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Orion,

I've used that product and others very successfully many times. I believe the active ingredient in is it Oxalic acid. I suggest you wax your boat after using it or the next time you drop it in the water it will probably stain again, possibly even worse sinceit strips all the wax off. Otherwise you will wind up using the hull cleaner again to get it clean.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FSR is the easiest thing I have ever found to take the scum off. Just wipe it on, watch the yellow disappear, and hose it off. They sell it at West Marine for $12.99. I work at the one on davis hwy

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I've heard that STARBRITE is pretty good. Thanks for posting that even though I have bottom paint on mine but SOMETIMES when the water is dirty it does get up on the freeboard.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started waxing it today. That boat wax sure is tough to get off. Did about 25% of the boat in 3 hours. Should have it done by the weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Go to walmart and pick up a bottle of hull cleaner, same stuff as marine stores just not as expensive. Put a pump sprayer on it from another bottle like 409 or windex spayer, spray it on when you get home and the boat is dry let it stand for about 5 minutes but dont let it dry then spray off and wash boat. I have been using this for years and my boat still looks new. It also works great for getting rust spots off the hull, but does not work well on the inside of boat trying to clean fish crap. I have used the past you wipe on then off and it works well, but you will get the same affect with the bottle and spraying it on versus all that rubbing. If walmart does not have it you can still pick it up at west, just look for the liquid hull cleaner.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was getting my '79 whaler ready to sell and bought some acid that is made for cleaning gel coats from posner's. It takes off rust, scum, and anything else you can thinkof from the gel coat. Also, it says not to use it on metal, but i did it anyways on my stainless rails. Wow! Now there isn't a bit of rust anywhere on the boat, or scum.

·
Registered
573 Posts
For smaller jobs & for scum ( that is not too bad ) try some soft & scrub you can buy at any grocery store. I still use hull cleaner when it is really bad but found soft & scrub can get the job done and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
102 Posts
starbrite hull cleaner from walmart is a great product...worked great on my boat that had a really bad brackish water stain on it.....one bit of advice though...use a sponge to apply it ..i used a spray bottle and didnt have a respirator and that crap got in my lungs...not good the next day.....if you have a respirator that can filter out an acid then go for it.. if not...sponge it on and wear chemical goggles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Orion,

Pick up some 3M ScotchGuard Marine Liquid Wax. It goes on easily and has lasted over 8 months on my boat which lives in the water and gets fished or dovefrom nearly every weekend. And it is pretty economical, too...a 1 quart bottle did my entire hull twice and there's still some left (about 1/4 bottle). Easiest and longest lasting wax I've ever used.

Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts