Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a huge red fish on Sunday (10/30/11) at Johnson Beach. It is the biggest I have ever caught. I am not sure on the length or weight. I was to excited to get the tape measure out and wanted to get it back in the water asap. Any guesses on how much it weighed and length? I am 6'1" tall and my son is 46".

Attachments

·
Banned
143 Posts
Idk but you two look like your having fun! Nice fish! Congrats

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wild guess of 36". Nice Red. But the only thing that matters is the grin on both of your faces.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's big. Mid to upper 30's, fo sho. All that really matters is that you are now the world's greatest fisherman, in your little man's eyes! Congrats, dude. Good experience to share with your kid.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
37-38 inches, around 18lbs or so. They always look much heavier than they really are.

Nice catch regardless

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the kind words and now I can't wait to go back out again. I am hooked!

I was using fresh frozen shrimp on a double pompano rig with 17lb test on a 12 foot rod.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
They should be there all fall and winter. Good luck!

Jollymon, I looked at that cool little weight estimator but have to say those would definitely be at the upper weight range of fish with those lengths. The heaviest 38 inch red I've ever weighed went 21lbs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They should be there all fall and winter. Good luck!

Jollymon, I looked at that cool little weight estimator but have to say those would definitely be at the upper weight range of fish with those lengths. The heaviest 38 inch red I've ever weighed went 21lbs.

One thing you have to remember they are using fork of tail length we use pinched tail here, so a 38" fork would probably be closer to 40" here.

That is a pretty cool website and has many species salt and freshwater.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
That would explain it. Not much of a fork on a reds tail

1 - 15 of 15 Posts