Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge deep water Amberjack
Friday August 20, 2021, 10:00 AM, The anglers of the Florida Fisherman ll are ready to battle the mighty Amberjack. In charge is Captain Bryon Holland one of the best of the best:

We will be fishing two days before what is known as the...

The Sturgeon Full Moon symbolizes endurance and resilience. Wow! That sounds like our Amberjack.

We will be fishing waters approaching 300 foot deep; home of the BIG Boys. The only Sturgeon we will see will be that huge full moon. But, hopefully, the Amberjack will be BIG and ready for a fight.

What an honor having a young married couple with us:

The Great Line Toss:

The weather is Picture Florida Perfect and Will hits the Gold.

We are out of here:

They grow them BIG way out here:

Trolling is very popular, and productive:

Time to get serious:

Even Tammy can't believe the size of John Martin's monster:

Remember when we said, 'home of the BIG Boys?'

Well!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'hopefully, the Amberjack will be BIG and ready for a fight'

Sometimes they are too ready. Will has only his reel left. His very heavy rod was absolutely no math for a 'Sturgeon' type Amberjack:

We won some; lost some. One thing is for sure; we were in many real battles. John Martin's monster tip the scales at 97 pounds. Even bigger ones proved who the BOSS really is; just ask Will!

Back at the dock:

Watch John Martin do battle with the 97 pound Donkey of the Sea:

credits

Wikipedia

Eric Deskins

Getty Images

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amberjack on the Atlantic side are loaded with worm. We fish in the Gulf. Amberjack caught in the Gulf off Central Florida have virtually NO worms.
"right place" Always do!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Amberjack on the Atlantic side are loaded with worm. We fish in the Gulf. Amberjack caught in the Gulf off Central Florida have virtually NO worms.
"right place" Always do!
I must not being doing something right I have never caught a AJ or Almaco of any size that didnt have worms! that big pond between Florida and Mexico is the Gulf Right?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Been catching Amberjack for over 60 years. Guess I know them pretty well. Not even close to the amount of worms in Red Grouper.
Have caught & cleaned hundreds of really BIG Amberjacks & many Almaco caught off Madeira Beach, Florida. Virtually NO worms in either. To me Almaco are much better eating than AJ's.
And yes, we are talking about the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,143 Posts
So GOM aj's don't have worms? Interesting. Wonder what I been cutting out.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts