Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a budget 7mm08 and came across a Howa Gameking with a Hogue stock and 3-9x40 Nikko something scope for $440. It is new from an online dealer. It is blued with the green stock. Anyone have any experience with them? From my bit of looking around that seemed pretty cheap for a Howa. Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
19,888 Posts
I've shot some of the "higher" end Howa and they shot surprisingly well. I will say that stock is horrible for accuracy on a rifle. I love the look and feel of them but they forearm is so flimsy it can mess with the accuracy big time. I'm not familiar with that model but one of the best budget rifles on the market is the TC Venture. You can get them for just a few bucks more and they are guaranteed MOA.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'll second the TC Venture. Lady friend got one and she shot a inch and a quarter three shot group right out of the box. Hard to beat that.

Reactions: murfpcola

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was going back and forth between the TC Venture and the Weatherby Vanguard S2 and ended up going with the Weatherby for $549.00 The Venture is a great gun, but the Weatherby has the best trigger I have ever felt on a stock rifle. It comes with a two stage trigger and once you pull past that first stage, it is a light crisp snap for the second. The thing is hella accurate as well. Mine is a 7mm-08 and my 5'04" 120 lbs fiance was clover leafing her shots at a little over 100 yards the very first time she shot it and at that point, the highest caliber she had ever shot was a .223 I took a groundhog in the head at 175 yards in West Virginia last fall and have taken two deer with it since then. I absolutely love that rifle.
Also, the S2 series is much improved over their first vanguard series. They really listened to their customer base on that one.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I was going back and forth between the TC Venture and the Weatherby Vanguard S2 and ended up going with the Weatherby for $549.00 The Venture is a great gun, but the Weatherby has the best trigger I have ever felt on a stock rifle. It comes with a two stage trigger and once you pull past that first stage, it is a light crisp snap for the second. The thing is hella accurate as well. Mine is a 7mm-08 and my 5'04" 120 lbs fiance was clover leafing her shots at a little over 100 yards the very first time she shot it and at that point, the highest caliber she had ever shot was a .223 I took a groundhog in the head at 175 yards in West Virginia last fall and have taken two deer with it since then. I absolutely love that rifle.
Also, the S2 series is much improved over their first vanguard series. They really listened to their customer base on that one.
\\

That is a fine rifle. I just bought my oldest grandson one for Christmas in 257 Weatherby. For the money you can't beat it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume the T C Compass is just a less refined version of the Venture? I like the price point of the Compass better. I hunt on occasion on family land so will honestly probably only be used 5 or 6 times a year unless I get more serious. I have a brand new Vortex Crossfire 3-9x50 that I bought to put on one of my ARs that I will use so only really need a rifle. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Howas are great rifles and I can also attest to Splittines recommendation on TC Venture. My father has been letting me use his Venture in .243. Last year we shot it at 200 yards and with Hornadys 95gr SST factory load it averaged a 3 shot group of 1 3/4". Been trying to buy it from him but he still hasn't budged lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts