Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking atthis boat but not sure how this thing would ride and handle in calm or rough water. Is this a normal hull design for this type of boat ?Its 22x8 ft. 1/4 in aluminum plate. Said it would run 50+with 200 hp. Last sticker on it was 02, motor needs ?? work and trailer has broke axle.Heres a few pics, let me know what you think...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do a sea trial. I new a man that built an aluminum bass boat like this and it sunk at the dock. You never know till its in the water.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Looks home made. The tunnel does not appear very cleanbecause of thetwo lateral support. Theywill actas brakes when you hit a wave. Personally, I would pass on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My .02: The sponsons would lead me to believe that it is a semi-displacement hull (generally a slow and even ride) which does okay in chop. BUT the braces in the front would have me worried that she would stuff the bow. The design doesn't look efficient. The motor would create a great deal of drag as it gets hit by all of the water that gets forced down the tunnel. Only way to know is to give it a sea trial. I wouldn't take her out of the bay though.

Semper Fi

Junior

Twin Vee 26' Weekender

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah the spray rails on the front hulls and the two supports/deflectorslook like they were possibly added. Dont know if it was too wet a ride or possible cavitation problems or ??

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Since it is a one of a kind, the only way to know its performance would be to test drive. It would be very risky to assume anything about its functionality.From the photos, it appears onlyto have potential in lake/bay environment. If the boat as is is not fit for a test drive, the only safe wager would be to pay salvage value (hint- how many pounds of aluminum at what scrap rate per pound).

If the owner is rational, he would realize that the only reasonable way to sell the vessel as a viable boat would be to get it in a condition fit for a test drive to validate its usefulness.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I own two cats and did a lot of research and a number of seatrials before buying either one. This boat would not be on any of my "buy" lists.The entry is flat--even the planing cats have a sharp entry. The single prop will ventillate (turbulant water from between the hulls) and not have good handling in down seas--maybe even in beam and up wind. The tunnel clearance is not very high, and these big plates in front, suggest some building problem, or handling problem--and will worsen the handling. If you stuff the bow--which can easily happen, I would fear for how the boat will steer for that short time. The welds look OK--but there are lots you don't know about the interior of the hulls--what alloy was used, what bulkheads were used, how the fuel tanks were put in, etc. The looks alone will make it difficult to sell.

I say pass on this boat. If you want to sea trial it--pick a rough day and go into the ocean--but take your life jacket and an EPRIB...as well as a submersiable hand held VHF radio.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i would stay away from that thing man. it looks extremely homemade,not to mention its ugly. looks like a money pit. I wouldnt let my kids ride in it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your looking for an older cat, there's is one for sale around the corner from me. For startersi live in prattville al. (180 miles north of pcola), nd dont know any details butif interested can get the number for you. I'll also take so pics but itwill take a couple of days (work).

BA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts