Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've alway's thought that the fish I caught out in the Gulf were the best you could eat, that it was a lot safer to eat Gulf fish as opposed to the fish in the bays and bayous and the rivers because of all the pollutants that have been dumped there from the past and present . Now, post oil spill, I'm at odds with that frame ofthought, I think that the oil spill has forever tarnished my belief that the fish in the Gulf are safe to eat. I know that over time the visible affects from the oil spill will be gone, but the latent effects from thepetroleum and the chemicals being used todisperseit may contaminate the fish for years to come. I'm sure that their will be random testing done on seafood that is sold in the fish markets for the next few years, but my questions is: <span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 221, 0);">How will the Recreational Fisherman be able to tell if their catch is Safe to eat? We don't take our catch to fish markets to be processed and analyzed, it goesstraightfrom the cooler to the table. I wouldn't be so worried if it was just me that ate the fish, but I have a wife and son and step daughter, and it was always a special occasion to invite family and friends over for a fish fry with the catch of the day. It would be devastating to find out years down the road that my son or another family member became terminally sick with some rare disease or cancer that could be linked back to the fish that we ate out of the Gulf of Mexico that I caught, fixed and feed to them. <span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 221, 0);">Should we, as Recreational Fishermen, demand that BP provides us some sort of free "testing kit" to determine if the fish is safe to consume? Maybe I am being too paranoid, but I know for sure that every fish that I bring home post oil spill will never in my mind be as safe or good as it was pre oil spill.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
RE: How will the Recreational Fishermen be able to tell if their catch is Safe to eat?

Good question.. I also wonder how long the fish would live after going through some oil... I know there was a fish kill over that way last week I think it was... So how long were those fish in the oil before they died?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: How will the Recreational Fishermen be able to tell if their catch is Safe to eat?

I'm not worried as much about the initial fish kill that will happen with the fish in direct contact with thepetroleumcontamination. I am more worried about the oil that is being dispersed oremulsifiedand sunk to the bottom of the ocean floor. Everyone knows the phrase "What you don't know won't hurt you" a<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; ">nd I am trying really hard not to be pessimistic, I think of myself more as a realist,...so the problem I am having is: "what I do know might hurt me"..... I know that there is or will be soon petroleum contamination locally in the water that I fish in and I do know that they are treating it with chemicals to disperse and/or sink the oil to the bottom. All that contamination will inevitably be eaten by the smallest of creatures that will be eaten by bigger creatures and up the food chain to the Snappers and Groupers that I love to catch and eat. I don't really trust the government and or any other company that is telling the public that the chemicals are "safe".....<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; ">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; ">I believe that many fish species can live for a long time, 10,20,30 years, is this going to be a problem that we will be dealing with for the rest of our lives? As the broken down oil and chemicals form some kind of molecule that covers the gulf floor, and it is consumed by thetiniestplankton that is eaten by the shrimp, that is eaten by the ruby red lips that is eaten by the snappers or groupers that are eaten by the sharks that eventually die and the contaminated shark sinks to the bottom to decompose and it feeds the plankton and the shrimp and the ruby red lips and the snappers and groupers and the sharks to be repeated over and over and over again with generations of fish accumulating contamination from the oil spill of Arpil 20th 2010.I guess it's time to take my lithium dosage to help with myparanoia.

·
Kazadius Quantarious
760 Posts

Just another thing to give us all cancer....

I swear not even spring water is safe anymore....

·
Registered
3,428 Posts

Chris, when it comes to eating the catch, I personally am more worried with the dispersants they are using than any of the oil products, and that include the q-menes and benzenes. In the industrial world, we use dispersants in feedwater streams and cooling towers and let me tell you brother, they are not nice. And before ya'll start bashing me, I do know that all dispersants are not created equally, but after 25 years in the business, I know what and how they work in industry. I hope that inthe PPM's we will see in the gulf that they will quickly fade away but as of now, I am not convinced of that.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

FWC is catching fish now for base line numbers for pollutants, they are being checked at the Dept of Agriculture,food lab in Tallahassee. It is my understandingthat ascontaminates arefound then blanket closures will be issued. It's not perfect, but it's better than guessing.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Feed your wife first if she makes it everything's gonna be alright....... IM Kidding

·
Registered
870 Posts

THATS JUST IT WE KNOW YOU ARE NOT KIDDING.LOL:bowdown

·
Registered
502 Posts

yeah...i'm pretty sure that you won't be able to legally catch fish in the gulf that are unsafe to eat. If contaminants are at an "unsafe" level in fish in a certain area, then the area will be closed to fishing recreationally and commercially...just speculating.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

CAPT. PAUL REDMAN (11/05/2010)Feed your wife first if she makes it everything's gonna be alright....... IM Kidding
I was actually thinking about letting my mother-in-law give it a try first!!!!!!! :shedevil

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

fla_scout (11/05/2010)Don't know if this will help any but look at this link.

<a href="http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill/documents/SeafoodConsumptionFAQs.pdf[/quote"><a href="http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill/documents/SeafoodConsumptionFAQs.pdf">http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/oilspill/documents/SeafoodConsumptionFAQs.pdf</a>[/quote</a>]

You will notice from the above link that the primary contaminants of concernfrom the oil spill are PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).If you cook your fish on a charcoal grill or if you eat BBQ on a regular basis you are consuming more PAHs than than you would get from the fish being exposed to the oil. I'm not saying that the oil is by any meansnot something to be concerned about, just trying to provide some perspective.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Man thats good thinking on the stp im going to pick up a case before thay sell out.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts

Use Bic lighter! If fish burst into flames,don't eat the friggin thing! Ain't like your testing good shine to see if the flame burns blue or nothin. Just sayin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts