Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

How to Tie King Leaders

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  oxbeast1210 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I ran it last weekend just to burn some gas but as for fishing I'm not sure when I can do that. The Dr. told me no rough seas and no lifting anything over 15 lbs. I'm 5 weeks post op right now. I'm hoping to go tag some more dolphin this season. I've got 10 or 20 tags to stick in those little p-nut dolphin. I'm gonna do more slow trolling for kings this year also.

John

#6 · (Edited)
JD - I use live and dead baits. No spinning issues. Just have to ensure the knot on the lead hook is top dead center of the treble each time before deploying the bait. The front hook looked out of whack on the video because I didn't take the time to move the knot of the lead hook to center. I do that prior to baiting. Thanks for the info though...always good to hear how others do things and expand the "bag o' tricks!"

#9 ·
I do too, but I use a 2/0 live bait hook and two size 4 trebles.

Also, check out the ball bearing Tsunami brand swivels from Wal-Mart. Ball bearing swivels are better then barrel swivels to help prevent line twist. The Tsunami brand ball bearing swivels are about a third of the price of name brand and work fine IMO.

OP, have you ever had kings chew through 27# seven strand? I have more times then I am happy with. I use 40# primarily, 60# if Im pulling big baits or if its cloudy/rough/murky and only go to 27# if its calm and clear and the fish just dont seem to be eating.

#10 ·
JD, I do get cutoff once in a while. I would say about one out of twenty five kings or so. However, some of those are due to being lazy and not putting on a new leader when I should after several fish. I do run 40 or 60 pound on occasion but not very often. I'm not too heartbroken when I lose one since I catch them by the buttload and they are pretty low on my list of fish to eat.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I am by no means an expert. Just sharing what I have had success with for any new people out there wanting to give it a shot. We, as fisherman, can always learn something new. I may just try the snelling of the front hook as it seems popular. Run it side by side with a straight figure eight setup and let the fish decide for me. Thanks, Will

#21 ·
I use single strand also on my dusters with 3-7/0 hooks and frozen cigs. Havent tried just a bait leader yet. Just got to remember to keep your hands away from their mouths when they are freaking out. I thought this one was done freaking out. I WAS WRONG.

Finger Hand Thumb Flesh Nail

Half king blood half mine. LoL

#24 ·
I use single strand also on my dusters with 3-7/0 hooks and frozen cigs. Havent tried just a bait leader yet. Just got to remember to keep your hands away from their mouths when they are freaking out. I thought this one was done freaking out. I WAS WRONG.

View attachment 78125
Half king blood half mine. LoL
i knew a guy who had to have muscles in stuff cut out of his middle finger from gangrene he got picking up a shark like that........too...lol:blink:

#23 ·
Rookie mistake that I will not be making again. That picture was taken after we cut the barb off. I pulled it out after that took 20 minutes to collect myself and fished for another five hours. I'm just glad my buddy got the King unhooked before freaked out again. Or I probably would have had to go to the hospital.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.