Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya’ll here’s one of my secret rigs you can make and use in the Surf. Pompano, Reds, and whiting love this fly. You’ll simply replace your hooks on your single or double drop rig with this fly, then bait it with shrimp, FISHBITES, or sand fleas. I’d love to see this fly used by you! It’d be an honor to my Uncle and Father since they are the inspiration behind it. enjoy!

https://youtu.be/l5OrsGt3voU

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,868 Posts
That's pretty interesting and seems to work, thanks for the video. But why do you call it Frank's Fly, I assume that's your name, But why not call it Bill's Fly, since he taught you how to make it? Maybe his last name is Frank? Just curious

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty interesting and seems to work, thanks for the video. But why do you call it Frank's Fly, I assume that's your name, But why not call it Bill's Fly, since he taught you how to make it? Maybe his last name is Frank? Just curious
I honor both Captian Bill and my Father Frank with this fly! Frank’s favorite nut was Pistachios. So I named it after my father Frank.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Great idea , thanks to you and of course your Dad ! Please re-post this on the fly fishing section , you could be missing a lot of people. Also, does the Franks Fly wobble on retrieve ? If so it could be a great redfish fly if dipped in a gold color.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s pretty cool work! You can retrieve it with a Carolina Rig. However, I usually use it stationary fishing and tip it with shrimp or a fish bite. You’ll have to expeirment with this as a pure fly fishing fly. I guess I am not fishing it in that way. It’s more like a teaser but Frank’s Teaser does not sound as good as Frank’s fly.

·
Snorkiller
372 Posts
I never thought about using the pistachio shells. I have seen them with a fake fingernail. Here's one that I tied. Just a knock off of the Vhalos Marbled Sand Flea from Sandbar Flies. Caught some nice Redfish from in the surf with it. I'll have to try them as a teaser on my pomp rigs now also. Never thought of that!

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought about using the pistachio shells. I have seen them with a fake fingernail. Here's one that I tied. Just a knock off of the Vhalos Marbled Sand Flea from Sandbar Flies. Caught some nice Redfish from in the surf with it. I'll have to try them as a teaser on my pomp rigs now also. Never thought of that!
Wow!!!!!

Those are absolutely beautiful flies!!! Thank you for sharing. I would love to get into fly fishing from the surf. What I see here is true artwork indeed.

Those pistachio shells are perfect for a teaser. Let me know if you can tweak them all the more. I don’t know how to do that. The more realistic the teaser the better. I am a HUGE believer in the Plasti-dip coat. It helps the teaser last a long time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also are you sight casting? Plus you know you could get in the record books for whiting because there has yet to be one recorded as caught from fly fishing. No one has yet, maybe you can be the first.

·
Snorkiller
372 Posts
Wow!!!!!

Those are absolutely beautiful flies!!! Thank you for sharing. I would love to get into fly fishing from the surf. What I see here is true artwork indeed.

Those pistachio shells are perfect for a teaser. Let me know if you can tweak them all the more. I don’t know how to do that. The more realistic the teaser the better. I am a HUGE believer in the Plasti-dip coat. It helps the teaser last a long time.

Thanks! I’ve been working at it. I’ve only been Fly fishing for a year and tying for 8 months or so. It’s definitely a whole different experience.

I didn’t know there was not a whiting record! I do know of several people that have caught them on fly though using shrimp imitation flies.

Instagram @SumlinVisuals

·
Registered
156 Posts
skram that is an awesome tie, looks like you're a natural. Reds out of the surf and mastered tying in very short order by FFin' standards. Nice!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hey ya’ll here’s one of my secret rigs you can make and use in the Surf. Pompano, Reds, and whiting love this fly. You’ll simply replace your hooks on your single or double drop rig with this fly, then bait it with shrimp, FISHBITES, or sand fleas. I’d love to see this fly used by you! It’d be an honor to my Uncle and Father since they are the inspiration behind it. enjoy!

Great channel thanks I subscribed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Great channel thanks I subscribed.

Thank you both! Glad to have you a part of the fish Gum team!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 18 of 18 Posts