Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fishing a tournament in Louisiana in a couple of weeks, I am going to be in New Orleans(down town) for a couple of days before the tournament and do not want to drive back home and leave the next day to head back. Anyone have any ideas on how to lock or secure the kayak in the back of my truck to prevent theft. I will be in a parked in a parking garage but I am very leery.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't blame you. At WalMart (and other stores) they have a cable lock in the bike section that is intended to go through the hole on your trailer hitch. The ends of the cable have a small but sturdy metal loops. Those loops go onto a "T" shaped metal and plastic piece that goes through the hole on the trailer hitch and locks. You do not have to lock it to the hitch, that is just what it is made for. The metal loops are small enough to go through the scupper hole of almost any kayak. You can just use the cable and a seperate lock. Or you can leave one end of the cable locked to the "T" and thread one end of the cable through one of the tie down loops on your truck, through the kayk scupper and back the the "T". It is very versatile. It is a pretty sturdy cable, but as my dad used to say: it is strong enough "to keep the honest people from stealing it". If someone really wants it and has a pair of bolt cutters they could get through it. But then again they could also hot wire your truck. I have used it and have felt much better about leaving my yak on the car in a parking lot while traveling. The one I am talking about is not exactly like the image below. The one in the image below has a cable loop on one end and a solid metal "loop" on the other. The one I have has the solid metal loop on both ends, but the one below would work. The one below is a Rhino Rack RBCA023.

- Fisherdad1

·
Registered
528 Posts
Theft is out of control in NOLA - no respect for others property

I worked there for a couple of years and the theft rate is out of control. Downtown is great for visiting and exploring, but the vultures are watching. Bikes are the most commonly targeted items, that, and anything not tied down, and then some of that as well. Your yak will be candy to those SOB's. Even back yards are not safe. Locks don't deter the thieves in NOLA. I have seen bikes lifted over stop signs, multiple locks cut, seats stolen because they are easy to take off.

If you are in a secure gated garage, you may be OK. I would hope to find a locked garage of a friend and park it there. Find out what it costs for insurance and get some. At least you will be prepared to replace your yak if it is stolen.

You may find luck with a local yak shop and ask them how much to park it at their shop for safe keeping - just a thought.

Best of luck,

Bob

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
We would take a bicycle cable and run it thru the scupper drain of the kayak and around the luggage rack on the truck. But if it's an expensive kayak (like a Hobie), they might still tear up the truck to get it off. But that is probably the least expensive "deterrent".

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to make a trip back home!
Hey AZ;

Check on the cost of a temp. storage locker; wherever you're staying may have secured storage also.

Know anyone in town?
Ask them also where/how to secure it.

Just thinking outside the box.
Good luck in the tourney.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took 2 kayaks to Key West, locked them thru the scuppers with the bicycle cable lock, only had outside parking so i parked under a light pole with a security camera. A highly motivated thief will find away around any lock you use, but if there is an area with security or would draw too much attention it MIGHT be safer. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
27,951 Posts
Yepper...I have 2 cable locks fer ours......When we camp or what not, I lock em to the camper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts