Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hunt north of I-10. For a buck to be legal, it has to have: 3 or more points on one side, or one main beam 10" or longer. (I guess a buck with 11" spikes would be legal?)

So, what's a rule of thumb for estimating a 10" antler? A white tail's ears are 6-7" tall I've read.

I'm not a "big deer" hunter, just want to shoot a legal deer to eat. Antlers don't mean anything to me.

·
Praedator
10,078 Posts
This deer only has 12 inches of main beam! If it does not have a good fork in it, it's probably borderline and should not be shot. When in doubt don't shoot. With experience comes the ability to judge them a little better. And I'm a meat hunter too. I am glad they made the 10" rule. But I have never shot a "cow horn" or seen one that I thought would make the 10" rule. Maybe one a long time ago. But a good four point with a good fork will 98% of the time meet the 10" rule.

Attachments

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
^true story on the forks. Most cow horns that have a definitive split at the top measure at 10 or better. Or just shoot three or better and be certain.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Seen several 10 plus inch cowhorns killed in blackwater this year..If it's over its ears and curves out towards the nose they are generally 10+

·
Super Moderator
12,830 Posts
A dollar bill in a hair over 6"... if it's 2 dollar bill lengths long, hammer down.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

·
Super Moderator
28,619 Posts
3-4 inches over the ears, any questions on legality let it walk....

Reactions: JoeZ and John B.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If it's a "spike" I'd bet a years worth of paychecks that it would not make the 10" minimum here in NW Florida. Not to say they aren't out there but the odds are waaaaaay in my favor. All spikes walk for me.

If it has decent forks there's probably a 50/50 chance it will meet the 10" minimum and about the same that it would have 1" long brow tines. Remember for a point to count it has to measure a minimum of 1" from the main beam to the tip of the point.

Reactions: JoeZ

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
This buck didn't have 10 inch main beams but all points were over an inch!

Attachments

Reactions: John B.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have a photo of a cow horn I killed last year I will post up that was just over 10 inches. I will post it when I get home, has the bows in the main beam like everyone is speaking of.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Seen several 10 plus inch cowhorns killed in blackwater this year..If it's over its ears and curves out towards the nose they are generally 10+
Not calling BS at all but Would love to see a picture of one every spike I have seen killed and clamed to be over the 10 inches were maybe 8 at the most on Blackwater. Lot of unskilled people out here that don't have a clue.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Per the FWC NW Regional Manager, the rule was designed to protect ALL 1.5 y/os. The allowance for the 10" main beam was to allow 2.5 y/os, like the buck TP posted, to be harvested. I was also told it was to appease the "cowhorn" crowd that was adamant the woods were full of 10" main beam deer; yet the FWC knew they are few and far between.

Just like short fish, is it worth it if you make a mistake? When in doubt, let it walk. My guess is the FWC is not gonna give you a pass on this one even if it's 9 7/8s.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not calling BS at all but Would love to see a picture of one every spike I have seen killed and clamed to be over the 10 inches were maybe 8 at the most on Blackwater. Lot of unskilled people out here that don't have a clue.
Didn't say anything about a spike. We have killed 5 cowhorns over 10 inches. Send me a number and I'll text you some. I'm far from unskilled. We've passed on a bunch. We've tried to get kids on shortys. I've personally had 3 so far this year in the 7 to 8 range run down my gun barrel. Never thought about pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Didn't say anything about a spike. We have killed 5 cowhorns over 10 inches. Send me a number and I'll text you some. I'm far from unskilled. We've passed on a bunch. We've tried to get kids on shortys. I've personally had 3 so far this year in the 7 to 8 range run down my gun barrel. Never thought about pulling the trigger.
Wasn't doubting you like I said. There very rare, your more likely to see an 8 point than a 10 inch or more spike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally Posted by hyco

Where Hyco hunts, there is more than a few in that area that is 10" main beams

1 - 20 of 24 Posts