Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I've ben trying to get into wade fishing lately since I don't own a boat, so I went to Big Lagoon because I read there was good trout and red drum fishing there. I primarily fished the grass beds with spoons, topwaters, and DOA shrimp. There were mullet jumping everywhere, but my lures didn't get touched the entire evening. I went while the tide was going out also. Was I doing anything wrong, and would I have more luck if I were to use some live bait? Thanks for your help :)

-Andrew

·
I pegged my fishometer
800 Posts
With only one trip its hard to make a judgment. I like top water for Reds in Big Lagoon. This year I often beach my boat and cast from the shore walking down the beach. I use top water which is easier to deal with on shallow water. The Reds run with mullet and you should use a mullet colored top water (I use Rapalla Skitterwalk SSW11 - mullet color) and 6 feet of 12-15 lb fluorocarbon leader (water is very clear now) tied to braid. All that being said, one or two Red fish is a good day in Big Lagoon.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You may not be doing anything wrong, it's just timing and luck. More like luck of timing. I have caught reds on topwater in one spot, come back the next day and seen plenty of bait and caught nothing; I've been to a spot multiple times and caught nothing, and then one day catch a nice red.

Time on the water and covering water are the names of the game, really. Covering water is harder to do while wading, and there are guys that know some really great spots and they catch them regularly (or seem to), but for every one of them there are 100 guys like us who just get them where they find them.

If everyone were somehow forced to post every unsuccessful trip they had, you'd see a more accurate ratio of trips to fish caught. Just keep fishing, you're not alone! :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts