Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried sabiki rigs bait all over the place but they don’t bite. How do you catch em?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It's not just you, the bait schools at the Mass have been less willing to bite this year for a number of people I know, me included, despite a number of approaches including the ones mentioned. I am a relative offshore novice, but in the past we could catch them and this year we have struggled. I can't explain it. We've had better luck around some of the buoy chains but even that has been limited.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Are you talking cigs, threadfin, hardtails or LYs? Cigs close to the surface seldom hit sabikis. Make a snatch rig for those and use trebles. Hardtails, throw the sabiki out from you and work it back fairly quickly. Threadfin will usually stay outside the school of LYs and like to hit on the drop. LYs like sabikis early in the morning and late afternoon....but a ribbon rig works all day on them. Don't go to the bottom with a ribbon. Stop it about 2 feet above them. If the LYs are high up, cast net...on the edge, not in the center of the school and don't let it go to the bottom. As soon as it hit on top of them, pull it shut.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

First time I've heard of a ribbon rig but it sounds interesting. Never know what you might learn!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

The 2 types of ribbon rigs. LYs attack the red ribbon and get stuck.

Reactions: LY-zer

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The Mass has proven difficult recently for bait. The Moonfish / Crazyffish or whatever you what to call them are a pain in the ass. I have found that if you can get below the crazyfish, you can get the LY's underneath them. On the Garmin the crazy fish show up as sparse bait pods on top to mid column but the LY's show up dense and red on my Garmin on or near the bottom. At least right now anyway. These tips could change next week if conditions change. Try to be a quiet as you can because LY's spook easy and move a lot. Yes the sabiki pictured above is the best with a two + oz weight and we use it when bait is difficult otherwise we use cheap O's from walmart. A red and green #4 or #6 on good bait days. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Are ribbon rigs legal in Florida? I thought they classified them as gill nets awhile back?
Depends on who in the FWC you talk to...on the nylon webbing ones. The steel rings are legal.

Reactions: Corpsman

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Can you buy the Hayabusa sabiki's locally or is that an amazon thing?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Can you buy the Hayabusa sabiki's locally or is that an amazon thing?
Outcast has them.
They do make a huge difference.
Last time at the Mass. we were catching tons of bait. The guy in the boat right next to us looked at me and held his arms up asking what he was doing wrong?
I just said Flourocarbon sabikis.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
i believe the color is a factor, too. i've sabikied with a clear wing #4 and my partner had a red wing #4 and he was catching and i was fishing. proven fact.
jack

Reactions: DLo
1 - 20 of 25 Posts