Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many snapper trips everyone was able to make. I only got to go 7 times during the whole season. Had 5 days pre-planned for vacation from work and canceled 4 due to weather.

Sucks we get only ~30 days knowing we will only get to fish possibly a third of those days if we are lucky.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We got to go 3 trips. Opening day we caught a 31lb 12 oz red snapper...the only one we caught that day.
We had to fish hard all three days. I don't know what we were doing wrong. We had good live bait and were at tried and true fishing spots. The spots were ones where we limited out in just minutes in previous years.
The rough water beat us up on those trips and we had to call off a few times because of bad weather reports.
I have heard of others catching their limit quickly and some not catching much.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
only 2 days just the way they wanted the season to go.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
We missed out on snapper season two prior summers, this year I was determined to get out there. I put in for vacation this year for 7 weekdays through the first few weeks of June, 3 I used for my sister and nieces visiting, didn't fish those days. Got lucky and was able to fish about 70% of the days I had asked off. Fished some weekends as well, made I think 7 trips. The last 2 I had trolling motor issues and anchoring slowed me down. We fished some days that I otherwise would not have gone out due to chop - never felt in danger, just some sporty moments in the pass with that outgoing tide and and the south wind; but it just makes it harder to really enjoy it when it's rough.

Few trips we had 5 people in the boat (including my 6 year old a few trips, he got his first keeper ARS), sometimes as few as 3. I think I cleaned 44 red snapper total, and probably a dozen mingos and couple stray lanes. The spots we fished we could tell a difference toward the end of the season as far as size and numbers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts