Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
12 trips average 2 releases per trip (most trips were all keepers and we keep the first legals-no culling)then it's off to trolling.A better question would be how many were thrown back (out of season) when trying to target other species.That number would probably be at least a dozen or more before we get tired (and disappointed)of feeding flipper and give up on bottom fishing.I have never had FWC check us offshore.Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fish most every weekend and typically go to areas that I will catch mingos, grouper and AJ instead of Red Snapper due to the two per person limit. I did fish for black snapper 4 times this year and those spots support alot of red snapper as well. During these trips I threw back about 45 red snapper. They are a nuisance.

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
I would say 12-14 per trip out of 10 trips or so... only reason this is so high is because 6 of the trips were not during snapper season.

Checked by fwc 1 time this year, about 1 month ago.(that includes inshore fishing atleast 20 times, and fishing piers and bridges 2-3 days a week)

·
Registered
273 Posts
In 14 trips we landed 84 snapper average length 19.4 in and discarded 85 avg length 16.6 in. Ten discards died of which 5 were eaten by dolphins and 2 by a hammerhead, 3 others died from hook injury. We fished shallow water so most of the fish returned to the bottom. Have no way of knowing how many actually survive.

We get checked by the FWC about once every 10 trips but not were checked at all last year probably because most of the time we were back at the dock by 10-11 AM

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
-=Desperado=- (10/31/2009)Most throw backs go down with an 11/0 circle hook about 2 inches below the front of the dorsal.:popcorn
not exactly legal, guess that's why you put the popcorn.

2 questions,

first, i thought you didn't even bottom fish?

second, how many times do you go out and catch a limit of ANYTHING?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts