Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I sign in a couple times a week to see what is happening. I have found the forum to be fishing/diving informative and entertaining. When I have needed leads on who to go to for concrete work, fencing, cars, etc., I have been given good info here. Anyone with thin skin, I would advise to leave the political posts alone. You know the saying that we all have opinions and a part of our anatomy. Overall, I do appreciate folks here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I also read for a few years before i joined. Im not part of "the circle" that he refers to but still post and ask questions and have bought and sold items. I'll be deployed the next few months and will still check in regularly to see what's going on the forum...thank God for today's technology.
Thank you for your service! What branch are you in?

I guess its safe to say there are a good number of people (the circle) that post regularly and are active but to me its a far cry from the 35,700 people that are registered members which is OK. I think the argument my buddy said about only 20 guys that do all the posts is way off target but I also don't think this forum is as active as it should be if there were truly over 35,000 people on this forum.

Thanks guys for helping me find some clarity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With all the social media which I can't stand. I like the old school forums, this place is like a small town, everyone pretty much knows one another and we pick on each other pretty hard at times but if you ask a serous question or need help you will have NO problem getting it.
I agree with you 100% on the social media, I wish I grew up in a generation where if you needed to talk to someone you called their house or the bar to find them instead of access 24/7. It does seem like a lot of people on here know each other outside of the forum which I think is awesome.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was originally a " visitor" for several months before joining about 10-11 yrs. ago. I originally joined mainly to read and learn from the Fishing Reports -- especially the ones from the guides. Now I realize that social media, facebook , podcasts, etc. has changed this landscape ( those media outlets can now be profitable for the poster). I also know the criticism that ensued when some Guide Reports were seen as blatant "free advertising" for some of those guides. I don't care , I still miss the regular Fishing Reports 9 and pictures ) they provided ! P.S. -- I still join in 4-5 mornings a week !

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is my 3rd year offshore fishing and have learned a lot just from reading the posts, but i didn't join up till i felt comfortable asking questions.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I've been a user since 2007.
Check nearly every day. I have gained a wealth of information on this site and gotten some great contacts and deals.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thank you for your service! What branch are you in?

I guess its safe to say there are a good number of people (the circle) that post regularly and are active but to me its a far cry from the 35,700 people that are registered members which is OK. I think the argument my buddy said about only 20 guys that do all the posts is way off target but I also don't think this forum is as active as it should be if there were truly over 35,000 people on this forum.

Thanks guys for helping me find some clarity.
Im Air Force. Yeah there's definitely not 35,000 people actively posting or joining in discussions. My guess is 30,000 of them have thin skin and got butt hurt and don't post anymore.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,074 Posts
I check this forum once a week, maybe. I’m online about 2 hours a week. This forum is getting too much like Facebook which I haven’t used in years.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
It's definitely not what it was, there used to be a ton of fishing reports, along with a lot more chatter. I remember when it was hard to keep something for sale on the front page for all the stuff being posted. 2007, when Chris started this one(more or less) until 2014ish was the heyday, too much competition from other platforms now, and too much unnecessary criticism of fishing reports, always someone with something negative to say. But, some of us are here for the long haul, I'll hang around until they turn the lights off...or Chase kicks me out...either way.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It does seem like a lot of people on here know each other outside of the forum which I think is awesome.
Ahhhh! The days of Past...... Some remember..... New folks will not. The Get together Parties aka
"Forum Bash's & Get Togethers" and The RFRA.. Those were the days when you actually put a face to a screen name. The Get Togethers would happen every few months for a Big Party. There would be 100 people there. Then there was a weekly get togethers on Wednesday nights.

Some of the Most Memorable parties were @ Bobbies & Tom's aka Old Flathead...."Pig in the Ground" :)
Clay Doa's were Super parties.....Blackenond Flounder for Lunch :) and Lets not forget the celebration of the ending of Huricane Season at Lanes. :) Lot's and Lots of the same people would show.....This would move on to doing other stuff together + Fishing :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ahhhh! The days of Past...... Some remember..... New folks will not. The Get together Parties aka
"Forum Bash's & Get Togethers" and The RFRA.. Those were the days when you actually put a face to a screen name. The Get Togethers would happen every few months for a Big Party. There would be 100 people there. Then there was a weekly get togethers on Wednesday nights.

Some of the Most Memorable parties were @ Bobbies & Tom's aka Old Flathead...."Pig in the Ground" :)
Clay Doa's were Super parties.....Blackenond Flounder for Lunch :) and Lets not forget the celebration of the ending of Huricane Season at Lanes. :) Lot's and Lots of the same people would show.....This would move on to doing other stuff together + Fishing :)
bobby, as we say in the south, you shonuff rite.. i remember the bsh pig and other parties, clay doa's house on the water, and i plan on making it to lane's one day.my first forum gettogether was on sand island with a lot of the gulfcoastfishingconnection members when robert price and his son started that fishing forum. but his son's temper tantrum run me over to the pff. i think his forum finally failed.
i think dlo hit the nail on the head with his last post. criticism and mean-spirited posts by members who actually meant it and who are not on here anymore was a deciding factor that made my fishing reports slim down to hardly any although i go quite often.
jack

·
Super Moderator
28,295 Posts
Yeah I didn't get to too many parties cause they were always on days I worked!!!! hahaha but I have met a ton of folks on here, and helped out a ton also. Fished with many and still regularly talk to many!!! Its still a good place but not like it used to be 15 years or so ago!!!

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
yep, jason, i met you and your son through a mutual friend, ed, and i think we went to the rigs.

jack

·
Registered
752 Posts
So, in all seriousness, why not put in the leg work to make a change and bring that stuff back? Or has some valid attempts been made and just fizzled out?

Maybe the forum has spread so much that the users are located all over and not as centrally located to have these get togethers...maybe have "regional" bashes (Destin, PCB, West Pcola, East Pcola, Gulf Breeze/Navarre, hell even maybe one for us rednecks in Crestview) and then have a big annual or semi annual "banquet" get together for everybody of all regions somewhere...hell rent out the whole place at red fish/blue fish for the day/night or somewhere.

I know it's difficult with families/work to travel an hour or 2 every week for a get together if you don't live in Pcola. Have a friendly fishing tournament quarterly and have the "regions" be teams to compete against each other for biggest fish of each species and overall weight (kinda like a PFF Rodeo), then have a get together to talk trash and hand out little things as prizes...t shirts and what not.

Each region have an annual Christmas party get together at a restaurant/bar somewhere. Once a quarter rent some inflatables and a Park somewhere and bust out those big green eggs to have a Kids Day for all the youngins and families to get to know each other and play.

I'm overseas for a few months right now, but when I return this fall/winter I would definitely do things like mentioned above, and would volunteer to help plan and setup for the Crestview area, or Crestview/Niceville/Fwb/Destin if we had to stretch it that far to get enough participants.

Of course all the above mentioned would be pending laws allowing us to have these get togethers with the coronavirus craziness going on. Maybe i iust posted a book for no reason because all of this has been attempted and failed, but figured I'd toss some ideas.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Age , Time, Money and Help.......Those all have a impact on why your ideas will not work.

Have ya ever been in a club that had 200 members.....BUT.....The same 10 people are there putting the effort in to make stuff happen.

Case in point that comes to mind......Sain't Ann's Round-Up. and Then the Sait Ann's Christmas lights.
The "Do'ers" Got old , Tired and died off.

This New generation just wants to look at their phone.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm 33 years old..."the new generation" that just offered ideas, enthusiasm, and to help make things fun again. All i said was to regionalize things and maybe have some tournaments...as far as the kid events and things, that's not very expensive if broken into regions, which hopefully would expand things even more. As far as those regional get togethers all it takes is that group to meet at whatever bar/restaurant to eat dinner and have some beers. When i return, i would love to plan a get together for the Crestview area crowd to meet at Johnny Quigley's to get to know each other and toss a few back...that doesn't take much effort other than the "old doer's" to get outta their LaZboy and show up. The Gulf on Okaloosa Island will rent the upstairs bar area out private to me free of charge for being military and promising them a crowd...all ppl have to do is show up and buy their drinks...all i hear from you is an excuse to not progress.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,064 Posts
So I got into a little bit of a discussion with a friend recently about the fishing forum and it got me curious. While I have made posts and started threads in the past I am pretty much just a window shopper on this forum. My buddy said he stopped reading it because its only like 20 of the same guys that respond to every thread. any idea how many active people respond to posts or active people reading posts? just scrolling through the threads it confirmed to me my buddy is talking out of his rear but was wondering if anyone has any real idea on numbers.

I like reading the inshore reports and boat chat. I'm sure there are many people like me that may not post.
From my experience there has always been a problem with the lack of posting vs. views. In the freshwater section there is hardly anyone that posts any more and it gets boring reading the same stuff from a handfull of folks. I'm rather active in this section but have reduced my input due to the lack of feedback from others.
I have found a couple of other forums on Facebook in the Pensacola and Panama City areas that are more active for saltwater. There is practically no freshwater interest on PFF except lurkers who never post.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts