Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a legitimate question, but may not sound like it. I know there are lots of long term issues associated with the oil. I guess my question is really 2 part. When (Or IS) the slick going to touch Florida beaches/inlets? I see several projections and none of them have it on the beaches at all, but they all talkabout hitting land. Once this occurs how long do the booms, barriers, whatever stay in place? Are the booms jsut offshore for a year as long as they are keeping the "surface" sludge off of the beach, do they remove them and jsut move them down the beach as the slick moves? How does this work? I assume the boom the bridges plan will work, but as said, it will cut off boat traffic for a while. Now I understand that the offshore fishing is out anyway, but I also know there are still some folks willing to pay for atrip into Florida waters which my last check they can still fish. How do you do both?

·
Registered
156 Posts
How long is unknown--since the oil is still coming out of the well head and pipe. The oil and breakdown products have to be removed from the environment--the degregation helps,but there will still be a lot of oil, and pads or absorbant booms will have to be depoyed (unless there are skimmers operating off the beaches).

Where the oil goes, is related to wind and surface currents. So far, it has been kept offshore, but in the next couple of days it will impact LA strongly--and probably here by the weekend. There will be oil out in the gulf for the forseeable future. Assuming that tar balls form, they are not degraded by the bacteria, UV light and evaporation. They will be around for some time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts