Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is how long the bull redfish will remain in the Pensacola Bay before leaving for the Gulf? I am new to the Pensacola area and learning how to fish here.

I love fishing for bull reds from my days in LA more than 30 years ago. My luck so far has been terrible. First time out a month or so ago, I was lazing around Escambia Bay and all I can catch on live shrimp or gulp shrimp are mullet. I'm not a mullet person so I took one, cut it up and put it on a hook and sent it to the bottom of the channnel in the bay and began to eat a sandwich. Before I had a chance to take a bite, I bet 50 yds of line were off the reel - which was holding 20lb floro line. After a very brief fight, he won and I got most of the line back. Lesson learned - Don't go to a gun fight with a knife.

Two weeks later I have a friend in from CA, and we are back in the channel area of Escambia Bay with the same Shimano 4000 now spooled with 30lb braid. This time I am throwing a white gulp shrimp on a 1/2oz 3/0 white jig.
Bam, you know the story, screaming line peeling off the reel like it is running from a fire. No equipment failure this time, just a smart fish that after about 75 yds of line, turned back to the boat faster than I could reel.

I took a leave of absence and put the boat in the shop to fix a few electrical issues and got it back on Monday. Decided yesterday that I had to try my hand at what I hear is a zillion bulls in the Pensacola Bay. Things go hectic early in the day and I finally loaded my gear and drove to the 17th St. boat launch. Put in and headed west towards the pass. Got in the area and noticed 2 boats about 400 yds apart so I stopped between them in 35ft of water. Turned to get a gulp shrimp out of my tackle box only to learn that I forgot to pack it. I look at my 4 rods and the only one with a lure. It holds the Shimano 4000 stilled spooled with the 30lb braid and still sporting the white gulp shrimp from about 4 weeks ago. That piece of plastic had turned brown and was hard enough I doubt you could shoot a 45 bullet through it. Since that is all I had, I gave it a cast. Managed to reel it safely in without any problems. Second throw -Bam! This guy was big, he surfaced three times and I got him next to the boat, reached for the net, kept the line taut and you guessed it he was gone. I reeled in the jig and that 3/0 hook was almost straight. That was the end of my day.

The score is reds 3, me zero. So I want to know how much time I have to get even.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great report! They are here all year, so you have plenty of time. The tactics change with the seasons, but I cant think of a month out of the year where the redfish are awol. As far as the run and gun fishing in the bay that you seem to enjoy so much, all winter. You have time.

That probably wasnt a mullet by the way.....

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
My question is how long the bull redfish will remain in the Pensacola Bay before leaving for the Gulf? I am new to the Pensacola area and learning how to fish here.

I love fishing for bull reds from my days in LA more than 30 years ago. My luck so far has been terrible. First time out a month or so ago, I was lazing around Escambia Bay and all I can catch on live shrimp or gulp shrimp are mullet. I'm not a mullet person so I took one, cut it up and put it on a hook and sent it to the bottom of the channnel in the bay and began to eat a sandwich. Before I had a chance to take a bite, I bet 50 yds of line were off the reel - which was holding 20lb floro line. After a very brief fight, he won and I got most of the line back. Lesson learned - Don't go to a gun fight with a knife.

Two weeks later I have a friend in from CA, and we are back in the channel area of Escambia Bay with the same Shimano 4000 now spooled with 30lb braid. This time I am throwing a white gulp shrimp on a 1/2oz 3/0 white jig.
Bam, you know the story, screaming line peeling off the reel like it is running from a fire. No equipment failure this time, just a smart fish that after about 75 yds of line, turned back to the boat faster than I could reel.

I took a leave of absence and put the boat in the shop to fix a few electrical issues and got it back on Monday. Decided yesterday that I had to try my hand at what I hear is a zillion bulls in the Pensacola Bay. Things go hectic early in the day and I finally loaded my gear and drove to the 17th St. boat launch. Put in and headed west towards the pass. Got in the area and noticed 2 boats about 400 yds apart so I stopped between them in 35ft of water. Turned to get a gulp shrimp out of my tackle box only to learn that I forgot to pack it. I look at my 4 rods and the only one with a lure. It holds the Shimano 4000 stilled spooled with the 30lb braid and still sporting the white gulp shrimp from about 4 weeks ago. That piece of plastic had turned brown and was hard enough I doubt you could shoot a 45 bullet through it. Since that is all I had, I gave it a cast. Managed to reel it safely in without any problems. Second throw -Bam! This guy was big, he surfaced three times and I got him next to the boat, reached for the net, kept the line taut and you guessed it he was gone. I reeled in the jig and that 3/0 hook was almost straight. That was the end of my day.

The score is reds 3, me zero. So I want to know how much time I have to get even.
WAY to long. They eat EVERYTHING.......and we thought we had a problem with lionfish....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts