Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
I normally like about 6', buy 4' will work. But why in the world would you want to buy pre cut leaders, when you usually have to pay more for. because someone else cut the leaders for you. Get a leader spool and spread your arms out as wide as you can, cut and use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with lobsterman. Grab the tag end with one hand, hold the spool in the other, stretch it across your body, and cut. You’ll have plenty to cut the chafing off and retie a few times.

·
Registered
400 Posts
X3 on the make your own. You will save money, and can make it any length you want.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what brand do you use?

I don't need much. One trip a year, maybe a few after I retire.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Actually, those aren't a bad price. But, doesn't look like it's 100% fluoro either, which is the reason why it's cheaper. Seems to have good reviews though. Honestly, I never knew such a thing even existed, always just bought the spools. But, I could see how just reaching in and grabbing 4' of leader material might be nice when you're out on the boat.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm only out once a year right now, probably more after I retire in 5 years. I want good stuff, but also don't want to blow my money. My stuff sits in a box in my garage in Arkansas for 51 weeks a year right now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm with lobsterman, 6' leaders, by the time you tie your swivel on one end and snell your circle hook on the other it will be about right. Stretch out your arms and cut lengths that size all day. However, in your case I can see where you don't want a spool of line sitting around all year, but you could just tie up a ton of leaders, wrap them up and put in plastic baggies for years to come. I sell rigs online and I tied up a ton of chicken rigs and grouper leaders for my fishing buddies as part of Christmas gifts over the past week. It's fun and doesn't take a ton of time once you've tied a thousand, haha. I have found the traditional snell for the hook works best and uni knot for attaching to swivel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts