Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Some of you remember me from the old forum as naut-a-byte and on the new one, I'm captgoody. While I still go deep sea, etc, I use my kayak whenever I can to grab some fast dinner - and I know this may jinx me BUT - I have not been skunked since I started using the kayak. I have learned MANY things like tie down everything, how to anchor, etc - the most important bit of advise I can give to anyone fishing in the bays for trout, reds, etc is they are predatory fish and what attract these type of fish? Sound, splashing water and the like. You can always nail both species under a school of mullet or bait fish but what happens when the water is completely still and nothing is happening - SEE ATTACHED. This was yesterday and I went for reds and caught 2 in 30 mins (Plus a few legal trout but they were still small so I tossed them back) and headed home. Not much different in the bait with what everyone else is using - Berkley Gulp, jig head, bla bla, but here is what I do different when it's flat and nothing biting on top. I cause my own disturbance for approximately 5 mins and sit back and wait. I used this method in the keys for other fish and it works fine here too - and the others in the kays STILL think I'm crazy but it works. Take the tip of your rod and stick it in the water about a foot, then make circles as fast as you can for a few minutes. This - I believe - simulates a school of SOMETHING feeding and all of a sudden, you will have dinner. I generally do this over a sandy area surrounded by vegitation as it gives there predatory fish a place to hide. I know - I'm crazy but try it when the water is dead and you will be surprised...

Attachments

· Registered
2,480 Posts
We used to do that in the Philippines under lanterns to catch squid... We tied a 12" piece of line with a hookless white feather on it. We'd swirl it really fast and create all kinds of bubbles, then run the feather across the water's surface. The squid would shoot to the top where they'd be momentarilty stunned just long enough to get a net under them. On a good night, it wasn't hard to catch enough to share with everyone. I've tried here far offshore, but I never had any luck doing it. I never thought about doing it for trout...:thumbsup:

· Really Senior Member
484 Posts
Take the tip of your rod and stick it in the water about a foot, then make circles as fast as you can for a few minutes.
I have done that offshore multiple times and it will bring an entire school of amberjacks to the surface where you can catch them with most any type of artificial lure. Using a washdown hose to make splatters like a school of bait works too.

Then there was the time off of Sarasota that I was doing that with a tube lure. It caused a 5' barracuda to launch 8' in the air about 6 inches from my face. That made me hesitate to do that anymore.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I KNEW I shouldn't posted that as I jinxed myself. Yesterday I set in 2 places and in the 1st, I had to beat the redfish out of my way to launch but after and entire day, I came home empty handed and my brother had one small trout around 18". Also forgot spray some sun block and since it was overcast didn't give it much thought until last night... Also thought my brother loaded the gatorade and that proved to be false too so as I sit here bunt and dehydrated with nothing to eat, I'm still happy knowing I was on the water and not home working on the honey-do list.. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.