Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.... I wanted to check with you all on how far offshore is too far in a yak? I went out with some friends 2 weeks ago into the gulf and wound up about 6-7 miles out with a north wind pushing us further:(.. so how far would/do you go?

Thanks Brad

http://youtu.be/hKIBUoaIrxU

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
how far is too far

Man 6 to 7 miles out in a yak is a long ways to go I would only go 2 to 3 miles out myself and feel safe

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
is 6-7 a guess or is 6-7 a no BS on the GPS 6 miles from land could only see water in all directions? I would think the latter would have me really scared, especially with a north wind. Glad you made it!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
It will look waaaayyy further than you really are BUT I will say that the furthest I've been was just shy of 8 miles from the closest shore and I have zero intentions of ever going that far again. You really need to look at the forecast for not only the day of the trip, but the next couple days as well just to make sure there are no surprises. On days with a hard offshore wind like you had, I wouldn't go more than a mile or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garmin gps when i asked my buddy said 5.4 miles from the pass and it was straight in front of us.... we continued to drift for 30-45 min before starting in ... thats how the 6-7 miles comes from... see video thats PCB's pass straight in front.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the thing forcast called for a shy 1-3mph north/west wind to 4mph west by afternoon ... it ended up being a 8-12mph north wind BY NOON!!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Ahhhh yes, Meterology, an exact science. I should've become a meteorologist. If I screw up here I get yelled at

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Six plus miles in a scrambler?! You must have arms of steel. Wind didn't look too bad in your video though.

Me, I never go more then a couple miles or so. Not really because I'm afraid to but because I don't NEED to. I have gotten kings, mahi, tuna, triggers snapper, grouper, etc less than two miles from the beach and in most cases only about a mile and a half.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
A good way to see just how far is too far, is to launch from Johnson Bch ramp and attempt a trip to the pass (or just stand there and look at how far it is). Its right at six miles from launch to pass. It'll put it into perspective a bit. I have no desire to attempt it in one day...and have to come back. A camping trip...now that's another story. Six miles one way ain't bad, it's coming back that sux.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts