Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to store your yak on a trailer sitting on the carpet runners? I have heard not to store it sitting on it's bottom because it may warp it. How do y'all store your yaks on their bottom, suppended on their side, upside down?

·
Super Moderator
28,163 Posts
I have a lift I have to install in my shed fer ours....but right now they sit on carpet padding in my shed....

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
I made a rolling cart. I mostly use the yellow yak. The yak's hang on a 2" strap. I can push it to my truck, unhook the front strap and it slides right into the truck. Even add a few extra hooks for storage. Having trouble uploading a pic., they are timing out when I go to upload. I'll try again shortly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm new to kayaks. Does the plastic degrade or discolor if left outside? I was thinking about building something like a sawhorse rack in my backyard as the garage is full. It would not be in direct sun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hanging in the garage from the rafters. Easy way to keep your yak out of the weather. Google kayak storage...you will find lots of good ideas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd at least cover it w/ a tarp or something. Also be aware that the summer heat will make the plastic bend easier, so careful the way you store it.
I think it gets hotter in my garage than outside in the shade! I just now looked at the rafter solution and don't see it working in my garage. My garage door or tracks take up the front 2/3 of the ceiling. I would have to remove the wife's car to get it in the front third, basically across the front of the garage. One side has shelves and the other my workbench. I think it will HAVE to go outside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Aha! I watched a video of someone spraying that on their kayak and was wondering what it was. So yours still has close to the original color?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Inside is not an option for me right now. If I store it outside upside down on saw horses in a shaded area with a tarp over it will I do much damage to it? I will have the tarp setup to where it is not touching for air flow.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
So do you have yours on saw horses or something like that?
My yak is stored upside down on my garage floor on two pieces of 76"x48"x4" poly foam layed backed to back lengthwise. A little bit of the bow and stern stick over the edges.

With the 303 Protectant I use, my Sky (blue & white) colored SPTW hasn't faded.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts