Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would think that gutting fish as you catch them would attract sharks. I believe I would like to keep sharks at a minimum while fishing out of a yak. Just mho.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Polar Bear sells liners for all of their coolers. They are like super thick/strong ziplocks. I freeze water bottles, put them in the bottom of the cooler, then place my drinks on top of them (the frozen bottles aren't going to melt for you drink in a day). Then put the liner in. I put my fish in the liner and it keeps the slime off my sammiches and drinks and keeps me from having to clean out the cooler every time I use it.
The liners hold up real well, I've put sheepshead in one and it did not get punctured. I've heard of snapper and trigger fish being kept in them without being punctured too.

·
Nuttin but Yak Fishin!!!
52 Posts
By the way... want a quick cool off for yourself?

Soak a nice sized towel in a ice slurry for a few seconds. Then place it on your head, then around your neck.

You will GASP for a couple seconds.... then you'll thank me forever.

I learned this working with a couple, three, forum members doing good work in Gulfport after Katrina.

A Fireman's wife said "Close your eyes...", then applied the large towel on my head.

It was really almost orgasmic on a HOT August afternoon in Gulfport, MS after doing HARD work for a few hours.

Jim
JimT

Try using FroggToggs Chilly Pads. We use these not just while fishing but out on the baseball filed, hiking or whenever it is just too dang hot out. Just by keeping them damp they keep you cool. they really work. I got mine at Walmart but they carry them at Academy as well... this is their Website

·
Registered
180 Posts
I will look into the Polar Bear coolers before I purchase the Water trail fish bag. We do need a local dealer for stuff like this!

Contact Polar Bear Coolers and ask for Leslie. Tell her Brian from Alabama told you to call. They are great folks and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Also ask about their custom logos. You can get you name, family crest or one of their prefab logos added.
888-438-7924

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
I have a 48 qt cooler on the back of my Hobie Outback. I usually bring a bag of ice with me and keep my bait separate in a narrow plastic ice tub inside the cooler.

I never gut fish even when I clean them. Sometimes I'll look what's in the stomach after I'm done working with the meat but that's the only time I need to handle the guts. There is simply no need to gut them unless you're cooking them whole. If you do it right, nothing makes its way into the meat and you don't waste meat.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I have a 48 qt ice chest that will fit on the Mariner but I want that area for my livewell. I really like the Watertrail fish bags because they are made to fit on the bow of my Mariner. I could fit the Livewell and icechest on the back though

21 - 28 of 28 Posts