Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had some ideas in my head for a while and want to see about putting them in action. I need to know how you clean your deer if you hunt public land, private land, etc. I know alot of guys with private land have skinning racks and sheds but what about the guys that dont, what do you do? Do you use a tree branch, or take the deer home and clean it there? Give me an idea of what you do and Ill post later of what I have in mind. Pretty much if you dont havea skinning rack what is your method?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
in the garage at home, I have a eye bolt thru the ceiling to a 2X4 across 2 rafters...and will be adding another for multiple deer when gotten ....this is when I'm done and the meat is in the cooler in whole muscles that get frozen that way with all the silver skin and all.... still on it...it helps eliminate freezer burn and you can clean it when unfrozen....grind, steak, tips....leave as roast

I am fortunate and when the weather is right can hang a deer for 3 to 7 days....and I prefer 7 days if possible

·
Registered
380 Posts
I keep a rope and gambrel in the truck and usually do it out in the woods. Kinda a pain if it's after dark, so sometimes I bring it home and hang it from the tree in the front yard. Some of my neighbors love it, some hate it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
we either do two things. we always have trash bags and a make shift gamble when we hunt public land. we either use a tree brach and dog leash to hang the deer and debone and put in trash bags or we skin it on the ground and use the hide as a blanket and put the meat again in the trash bag and carry out. this of course if it does not have to be checked in.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I did a search on google about 6 months ago on this. I have not checked again but there was a bunch of videos of a younger guy showing everything on how to hunt to skinning and everything you might need to know. I wanna say he was out of texas somewhere. Really informative. I will see if I can find it later.

·
Super Moderator
29,285 Posts
Got my own rack here at the house....Plan on building a bigger/heavy duty 1 in the future though!!!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
i just spent 15 mins looking for a post from last season so i could share a pic - and the pics aren't there anymore. ha. i do it like mentioned earlier and the tree branch. used to use a gambrel but i've done my last 2 from the neck and like it better i think. throw my tow strap over a tree branch, hook the deer up to one end and my hitch to the other, and pull the deer up as i drive a few feet away from the tree. can hook up to the front if it's at night and you need headlights.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
my brother in law and i skined a deer at my place this year, and we simply threw a yello rope over a limb then took a 3 foot 1/2 inch rachet extension and put it thru the hind legs and hoisted her up and tied off the extension and went to cleaning and when we were done i cleaned the tool and coiled the rope up and have it hanging in the tree still waiting for next year

·
Registered
151 Posts
It depends on if I'm going to cape it our not. About 25 years ago I was hunting in Blackwater andwekilled a coulpe of small bucks (dog hunting). An ole timer named Mr. Peaden showed me how to hang one by the neck and clean'em. If you are not going to mount one, all you need is a pair of lopers, a piece of rope and a tree branch. It is ALOT quicker to clean one hanging by the neck. Instead of doing all that cutting around the butt and back legs you just cut the skin around the neck and split it to the chest and start ripping. The skin will come off all th e way down even the tail. Plus, if you gut the deer,they just fall out and don't get hung up in the chest cavity. I have cleaned a hundred deer this way and it works for me. But if you want to mount it you will need a hanging rack. Make sure you get a knife that holds a good edge. You will be surprised at all the guys I have ran into that have $200 worth of cleaning gear and a $5.00 knife.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It has been a while, but the last time I witnessed a boot-leg deer skinning involved two pieces of rope, two trees relatively close together. One rope placed through the achilies on each hind leg, tied off, and the other end hoisted over a limb on one of the trees, pulled the deer head high and went to skinning just like with a gimble.

I have been fortunate to have the use of a great skinning shed for the past couple of years.

·
Registered
782 Posts
does anyone still hang them by the head and skin them with the truck any more? this was the chosen method of the ole' timers in our hunting party as i was growing up. they called it the golf ball method.

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
I did a few of mine this year with the golf ball method. One of them I used my riding mower and it was a little harder, but I like doing it this way. Gonna try the air compressor next year. Just spent a few hours grinding up all my kills from last year and man did it look good. Gonna eat good with all that ground burger.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I hang em by the neck, girdle cut the skin around their neck and legs, extend the ventral cut to the the girdle cuts, hook a chain thru the skin atthe back of the neck, and peelit off with a truck. Don't pull the tree down on your truck or your hunting buddies.

Joraca

·
Registered
478 Posts
I punch my cheap gimble behind the achilles and hoist them up over a branch in the back yard with the truck in reverse so i can use the head lights, hear tunes and re-hydrate myself with Morgan's. What i have discovered works great with hogs and deer meat if you do not have a place to cold hang em, i put them in a large offshore cooler, quartered with ice to the top, as the ice melts, i drain the cooler , add more ice and repeat for a 4-6 day period, works great.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I went hunting with a friend/outfitter near san angelo ,tx. he skins literally hundreds of deer per year.

Believe it or not he could field dress a 100lb. doe in two minutes ,i had never seen a deer hung by the neck and skinned and his way of doing it made a believer out of me.

He hung them by the neck -skinned them -he could make a couple of quick cuts and the lower legs would come right off -he then gutted them into a wash tub -sprayed out the chest cavity -done.He could have a deer quartered up real fast too.

One tip he gave me was to wash your hands after you skin the deer -he said the hide/hair is oily and that can get on the meat.

He used a small size fillet knife.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts