Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
The three WWWs. Wind/waves/weather.

First and foremost, if the surf is up, you just aint getting through and if you get through, getting back in is actually the hard part.

Once you are offshore the wind comes in to play. Big swells are no problem in a yak. But just 2ft wind driven white caps can dump you in a second if they hit you just right!

The wind also comes into play depending on the direction its coming from. A strong wind out of the north, NEVER go out alone or at least with out a good VHF radio. If something goes wrong, a north wind is going to just blow you out to sea. Not good.

Then there is the weather. Our summer pop up showers can be bad news bears for a kayaker. It takes a good 45 minutes or so to go two miles, so yeah, youre not out running one of those storms!

As offshore kayaking is becoming more and more popular it can be very tempting to jump in and go, but there are risks. I highly advise booking a trip with a guide or finding an experience group of people to go with before you try it solo. Even then, going solo on the best of days isnt always the best idea!

·
Registered
670 Posts
That pretty well sums it up. I've been nauseous out in the gulf. You can get sea sick on a yak lol. Wind is by far my worst enemy in the yak, hate dealing with it.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
JD is spot on. You gotta be willing to call it off some days. Wind is the biggest thing to me. It will ruin your day with surf or with drifting in a hurry. Makes the sport even more rewarding though when everything lines up, you punch through the surf like a badass and land a pig all under your own power.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
WWW is for sure what determines it. But experience and like we say in the military, Time in grade is the best teacher. Ask someone and don't get in a hurry to kill yourself...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yep. I was out there yesterday, west wind was kicking and I took on some water through my forward hatch. With all my gear, a few fish in the yak and water in the hull, it was time to come in. There is always tomorrow. I've been caught in a thunderstorm and got dumped and lost a bunch of gear. Don't let a few fish get in the way of making good decisions.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Today is a great example, my father is in town and we havnt fished in months. I knew it was going to be windy and some of the forecasts have the wind dying down through the day. We were on the beach by 0530. The wind was howling and as much as we wanted to fish, its best to know when not to go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was out the other day and dropped anchor. After changing rigs set ups and fishing, I looked at my gps and noticed I was drifting right at 1.5 mph. I was over a half mile off my mark and before I notice. Gotta set drift alarms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts