Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most likely we all have some of this problem, some more than others, but we all have to deal with keeping someone else happy while we spend time in the woods or on the water.

I have two boys, which are not an issue at all, but keeping Tonya happy,or just content with me,while I try to hunt as much as I can, or fish during spring, summer and early fall can be hard to do. With hunting season coming to a close, I have almost made it through another one...........

The odds are high that there are many members that both Hunt and Fish more than I do. How do you keep everyone at home happy in order to keep a place to live and still hunt and fish?

·
Praedator
9,924 Posts
Just have to balance it accordingly and to your family. Every family is different. I have a very loving and understanding wife. She still wants me to spend time with the family. And I want to spend time with them as well. I just try to make sure that the family needs are taken care of. Then I can pretty much do what I want when I want when it comes to diving/fishing/hunting.

It helps that my family loves to go out on the boat just as much as I do.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Perfect example for me, this weekend I handled taking the kid to gymnastics, I'll cook, I'll do whatever needs doing. Next week, I'm huting everyday after work and Valentines morning.

Just got to balance it all.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Think of it like a pre-paid cell phone plan. You pay first (with time, diamonds, etc.), take out a small service fee (you'll never get 1:1 ratio of time/play), then use the rest for your play time. If you have a "I forgot you paid" type of of cell phone provider (wife), keep a receipt (seriously - write it down but don't ever show her). BTW - make sure your buddy is on the same plan or you will be fishing alone. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Great question!!!

I set the ground work before we got married telling my wife to be that "I hunt and I fish, and I don't ever plan on stopping, so don't think that I will change or quit one day" I was nice about it but she knew I was serious and she understood, because her dad too is a fisherman.

Not that I am a hard ass though. My wife knows that I am going to hunt and fish, somtimes more sometimes less, depending on the time of year. I don't really take many all day trips. I can pretty much go as often as I want as long as I am home by around 11 or 12. I can leave as early as I want. Being home by noon still leaves plenty of time to spend with the family. One thing I learned the hard way, and through many lessons is that home by noon means fish cleaned and tackle stored and boat cleaned. Not pulling in the drive at noon.

If Ihave an offshore trip, or all day hunt planned I try and let her know in advance, and then skip a couple of short day trips. I also stock pile days...... I may not hunt or fish all of Feb and Mar so that come april and may, I can go without any hassle. I can just remind her, hey I havn't been in two months!! and then I'm good to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I deal with it by being single! I knowI am alot younger than most everyone here but I have had a taste of it with past girlfriends and if it comes toher or what I love doing....Im gonna miss her

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Freespool (2/6/2010)I deal with it by being single! I knowI am alot younger than most everyone here but I have had a taste of it with past girlfriends and if it comes toher or what I love doing....Im gonna miss her

Plural? You've had more than one? Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I am lucky and have learned from pervious relationships. My girlfriend of over 5 years loves to do everything I love to do. I feel guilty when I go without her. Only very few times has that happened. But as she says when I go and she can't, "It makes me happy to see you happy."

So let her see you happy when you come home and make her feel appreciated for it.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
when the girls were younger, I caught alot of flak, now that they are older, the wife can't wait for me to go hunting or fishing because both girls are just as passionate about both as I am.......I always have at least one if not both of the girls with me if I'm on the water or in the woods....

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
JoeZ (2/6/2010)
Freespool (2/6/2010)I deal with it by being single! I knowI am alot younger than most everyone here but I have had a taste of it with past girlfriends and if it comes toher or what I love doing....Im gonna miss her
Plural? You've had more than one? Hmmm.
Yes Joe I have

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's funny, I can always tell when the last two weeks of hunting season are in full swing, as our business goes way up... Not because the guys are coming in buying for their wives, but the wives are coming in by themselves or with their kids. You see they tell my employees, who are mostly woman, that their husbands are huntin' and they need some Pandora or other bling to make them happy...

What's ironic is their cell's will ring and it will be their husbands saying, "whats up honey"? Their reply is usually, "nuttin' much, just shopping for groceries and taking care of the house and kids while your off having fun!"

Funny, cuz when I'm supposed to be home and I decide to take a detour to Outcast, my cell will be blowing up with the wife calling, and she will ask "honey where ya at"? I'll reply, "working my ass off to make a living for my family! Where do you think I'm at?"

Tit for Tat...:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I also did the "i hunt and i fish" speech many years ago. At first it didn't go so well, it took quite a while for her to realize that we had a LIFETIME to spend with each other, but a nice day only comes around on a blue moon. Then after the boat broke the weather was terrible for weeks on end and my job was so slow i couldn't afford to drive to bob sikes. She then realized this crazy a$$ fool will go irate and get short tempered real quick, when going through fishing withdrawls. So now she never says anything but have a great time. if some of you are having trouble with this issue and doing the "diamond" thing let me sugest that becoming a grade A Pipelayer is not only fun but easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I missed out on a lotttttt of hunting this year due to family. I'll admit that I love spending time with them and we have a 8 month old, but I missed the woods. I hunted over 60 days last year. By the way that was Great!!

Soooooooooo getting to the point, I'm looking to buy a travel trailer to park at the hunting camp next year. My wife claims that she would love to come with me (spending time together with the fam) as long as she has a clean bed and bathing area. I love my camp house, but it's not up to snuff for her standards. So, I figure what the hell, I give this a try and see if I can work it out to satisfy her and get more time in the woods.

It's gonna cost me though. Hoping her grandparents sell me their old Air Stream on the cheap!!!

Other than that, I Beg, Borrow, and Steal to get out there and keep her happy

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Barry Cole (2/6/2010)It's funny, I can always tell when the last two weeks of hunting season are in full swing, as our business goes way up... Not because the guys are coming in buying for their wives, but the wives are coming in by themselves or with their kids. You see they tell my employees, who are mostly woman, that their husbands are huntin' and they need some Pandora or other bling to make them happy...

What's ironic is their cell's will ring and it will be their husbands saying, "whats up honey"? Their reply is usually, "nuttin' much, just shopping for groceries and taking care of the house and kids while your off having fun!"

Funny, cuz when I'm supposed to be home and I decide to take a detour to Outcast, my cell will be blowing up with the wife calling, and she will ask "honey where ya at"? I'll reply, "working my ass off to make a living for my family! Where do you think I'm at?"

Tit for Tat...:)

I have said it on here many times but since you posted.

Bere's is top notch all the way. Rarely am I this impressed by a business. The customer service is the best in the area from what I have witnessed. Since shopping there I don't step foot in another jewelry store. I have no idea how your prices compare to other places because I don't bother looking. Keep up the great work. I wish more places would do the way you guys do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Man, just tell her to put her big girl pants on. :shedevil In all seriousness she needs a good girl-buddy or 2. Mine does, and she couldn't care less what I do as long it is within reason. They go to lunch or have someone over and hang out, usually ends involving something out of a bottle,a lotlike we're doing when we fish. Even better if you gish with their friend's husband.

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
When the kids were younger, I caught a lot of heck from the ole lady about me doing my own thing... Now the kids are older, and my 11 year old is really the only 1 that likes to hunt/fish. My oldest is stuck to far up his galfriends rear to do anything, and my middle daughter loves to fish just like my little un but not hunt. Fishing season is usually busy when those 2 get involved but balancing fishing/work/sports is the main thing. 1 might get ta go which makes the other mad, but it's not my fault so they are told to deal w/ it. Now we do a lot of boating at Lake Jackson in Florala. Going tubing/skiing and such and is a blast up there....It's a great lake if any like calm waters to go to.....:letsdrink

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
That's funny. I think most are in the same boat. Somebody asks me, "do you hunt a lot?" and my answer is always "depends on who you ask." if you ask me, I hardly ever get to go. If you ask James Fink, I never go. If you ask my wife, I live in the woods.

I tell my lovely wife that I am practicing and learning the skills necessary to pass the great outdoors on to my kids. Of course, whenever I have one of my kids with me I can pretty much go anytime I want. Life is good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts