Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tips on how other boaters check the weather before they head out on the water. I like to have a pretty good idea of what the wind and waves will be when I go and while I stay. Looking for suggestions on apps or websites or whatever else you guys use as a guide to see both current conditions and predicted conditions. I primarily boat in the bay and intracoastal anywhere from the perdido key bridge to opal beach. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
For wind use the Windy app, it shows current conditions as well as forecasts.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The forecasters at the NWS are all sadists. They have caused me a lot of suffering through the years.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Buoy 42012 has a Live photo feed 12 miles south of OB with measured wave activity. Can’t get much more accurate than that. Right now their forecast says 1-2 tonight. It’s currently 3.0’ with a 5 sec period.

Note: anything over 2’ with less than 5 sec period will not be comfortable in under 25’ boat. Those seas are 3-5 on pff.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buoy 42012 has a Live photo feed 12 miles south of OB with measured wave activity. Can’t get much more accurate than that. Right now their forecast says 1-2 tonight. It’s currently 3.0’ with a 5 sec period.

Note: anything over 2’ with less than 5 sec period will not be comfortable in under 25’ boat. Those seas are 3-5 on pff.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The forecast for today and the next three days is just goofy. I was going to drive down from TN this morning and fish and Monday with my son? I checked the buoy at 0500 today, and the forecast was for 2 foot waves, but the actual measured waves we're over 3’. Saturday may be OK, but Monday was winds approaching 30 mph, but 1-2 foot waves. That just is not consistent, so I believe the models are missing the influence from the storms well south of us so I decided to not drive down. This afternoon, I checked the buoy - waves were over 2 feet from the south, but winds were very light from the north, so if the system to the south continues to push up 2+ foot waves, and then a stronger north wind pattern really develops, it will be a sloppy mess.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As noted, I decided to sit this weekend out in Tennessee, so my son took the boat, a daughter and boyfriend, and went. He said it was not 1 footers, but was a bit easier ride than last weekend. They did fine, the limit fish were 24-26 inches.
599BEB82-7FEC-48D1-9392-6D37810B1C3D.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts